'Godzilla (1954) - The Criterion Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2012, 07:31 PM

Default 'Godzilla (1954) - The Criterion Collection' - High-Def Digest Review

El Bicho has reviewed 'Godzilla (1954) - The Criterion Collection.' He says Criterion has done a great job with this release, treating it no differently than other landmarks in cinema history. Highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6023/godzilla_54.html
Old 04-15-2012, 07:57 PM

I want it lol
Old 04-15-2012, 10:34 PM

wow, thats a pretty pitiful set of extras they have there. i thought criterion was this fancy shmancy company that went all out with their releases. not that i was ever gonna get this because i dont get the love for this franchise but to each their own. but just to potentially annoy some people i will say this.....i just got the 1998 american movie on blu this weekend and i already had it on dvd. yep, i'm one of those who like it and like it enough to double dip on it. :P
Old 04-15-2012, 11:51 PM

Bouncy I like it G98 too, I am fan of the original Godzilla too but I found Zilla very interesting, it was a kickass monster movie, but not the GREAT AND POWERFUL movie for Godzilla.
Old 04-15-2012, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
wow, thats a pretty pitiful set of extras they have there. i thought criterion was this fancy shmancy company that went all out with their releases. not that i was ever gonna get this because i dont get the love for this franchise but to each their own. but just to potentially annoy some people i will say this.....i just got the 1998 american movie on blu this weekend and i already had it on dvd. yep, i'm one of those who like it and like it enough to double dip on it. :P
I think you've forfeited your right to have an opinion on this release, heh.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
wow, thats a pretty pitiful set of extras they have there. i thought criterion was this fancy shmancy company that went all out with their releases.
Joking?

This disc includes ~2 hours 20 minutes of featurettes, the complete American Godzilla w/Raymond Burr (also restored and presented in HD with lossless audio, like the main film), and two commentaries--1 for the original Japanese version and another for the American. So, really, you get 2 films and both have their own unique set of extras.

Personally, I think this is one of Criterions best supplemental packages of late.
Old 04-16-2012, 03:12 AM

Maybe he saw the zero star score for HD Extras, not realizing that the HD Extras score is based on things that are exclusive to the HD release, and also not realizing that Criterion usually puts the same extras on their Blu-rays that are on their DVDs.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:07 AM

I got this movie last week, bit surprised at how the reviewer didn't comment in comparison to the previous releases because its vastly superior to the original bluray release in terms of PQ with an almost blur-like filter being removed throughout the entire movie & Godzilla's fire attacks not showing up as a bunch of wavy lines. I think the PQ rating deserves at least a 4 because this is as good as Godzilla is ever going to look unless someone decides to do a complete expensive overhaul ala the upcoming Jaws bluray - even then though the source material is probably too badly damaged & might only reveal a 'slight' improvement

Btw there's a typo in the review:

"'Godzilla' (#594 in The Criterion Collection) is a 50GB Region A Blu-ray disc is housed in a cardboard slipcase that offers a wonderful surprised when opened"
Should be 'surprise'
Old 04-16-2012, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
I got this movie last week, bit surprised at how the reviewer didn't comment in comparison to the previous releases because its vastly superior to the original bluray release in terms of PQ with an almost blur-like filter being removed throughout the entire movie & Godzilla's fire attacks not showing up as a bunch of wavy lines. I think the PQ rating deserves at least a 4 because this is as good as Godzilla is ever going to look unless someone decides to do a complete expensive overhaul ala the upcoming Jaws bluray - even then though the source material is probably too badly damaged & might only reveal a 'slight' improvement
I feel the opposite. It seems like movies in the Criterion Collection get a pass in the audio and video departments. Whether or not this is the best Godzilla has ever looked and sounded (or can look and sound), it clearly has huge flaws. Yet somehow it still manages 3 1/2 stars in both. Go figure.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backslashio View Post
Btw there's a typo in the review:

"'Godzilla' (#594 in The Criterion Collection) is a 50GB Region A Blu-ray disc is housed in a cardboard slipcase that offers a wonderful surprised when opened"
Should be 'surprise'
Fixed. Thanks!