Walmart Disc-to-Digital Will Offer 4,000 Titles at Launch - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2012, 01:28 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Walmart Disc-to-Digital Will Offer 4,000 Titles at Launch

Employees have had access since the 9th and customer rollout will start on the 16th.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/wal...-program-26945
Old 04-12-2012, 02:17 PM

I'm unclear as to how exactly this program works. So do you "trade in" your DVDs or Blu-rays in exchange for "owning" the movie via VUDU, or do you still get to keep your discs and simply gain access to VUDU's copy?
Old 04-12-2012, 03:00 PM

My understanding is that you bring in your copy, they verify that it is a legitimate copy. You pay however much, and you gain access to a streaming copy online.

This is a really, really dumb idea.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post
My understanding is that you bring in your copy, they verify that it is a legitimate copy. You pay however much, and you gain access to a streaming copy online.

It will fail like Circuit Shitty's DIVX program.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo16 View Post
I'm unclear as to how exactly this program works. So do you "trade in" your DVDs or Blu-rays in exchange for "owning" the movie via VUDU, or do you still get to keep your discs and simply gain access to VUDU's copy?
And, if it's the later, what's to stop me from borrowing my bud's collection and adding them to VUDU? This is just weird to me in general...
Old 04-12-2012, 03:12 PM

Ah yes - pay a fee to have access to a title supposedly in an electronic cloud somewhere that you already purchased and paid for in the first place. Exciting stuff - right up there with digital copies, especially ultra-violet.
Or maybe it is just another self-serving bad idea from the movie studios.
Maybe ISP's looking to charge more for excess broadband usage will like this?
Old 04-12-2012, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo16 View Post
You get to keep your disc. They will, suposedly, stamp the disc or something to keep someone else from using the same disc.

There are a few titles on here that I am excited about, as I have already checked Vudu and they have them in HDX, but are titles that have never been released on Blu-Ray. So this is a good way to get some titles in HD. I am a little disappointed, though, that a couple of the titles I had picked out already (that Vudu does have in HDX) are not on this list. Hide and Seek was one, as well as several Disney movies (although I already knew that Disney was not on board with this, so not really surprised by that).

I just got to go get my DVDs out of storage. I will be at Wal-Mart Monday when I get off of work.
Old 04-12-2012, 04:38 PM

I am also thinking about heading down to the used movie store and picking up a few DVDs for a couple of bucks. The $5 to upgrade to HD would be justifiable. There are some movies that I do not have, simply because there was never an HD version available, or if there was, it was priced higher than I thought the movie was worth.
Old 04-12-2012, 05:05 PM

Go for it! Let us know how you make out. Perhaps there will be a sudden surge in emptying the dump bins in the big box stores.

The biggest question I have around this service is what are the costs beyond having your DVDs and Blu-rays converted? Wasn't there a yearly subscription cost as well? What devices does the service support? Obviously the Vudu STB but is there apps and browser access as well?
Old 04-12-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordashebasics View Post

Here is an explanation of how the program works:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/blog/wa...gital-program/

I fail to see how this is a "really, really dumb idea." Many consumers out there who already own movies on DVD refuse to upgrade them to Blu-ray because they don't want to pay the full purchase price of a new Blu-ray disc. For $5, Walmart allows you unlimited access to a 1080p streaming version, and you get to keep the DVD. How is that in any way a bad deal?

Not to mention that the VUDU catalog has hundreds of titles available for 1080p streaming that haven't been released on Blu-ray at all. I've been waiting in vain for a Blu-ray edition of Team America: World Police ever since Paramount first advertised one in 2006. Six years later, and we still haven't seen that Blu-ray. So, my options are to continue to watch it on low-res DVD while I sit on my hands and wait for a Blu-ray, or pay $5 now for unlimited 1080p streaming. Huh, I wonder which sounds like a better idea... Decisions, decisions...
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.