'Undertaker: The Streak' is coming July 24 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-12-2012, 12:40 PM

Default 'Undertaker: The Streak' is coming July 24

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6915...er_streak.html
Old 04-12-2012, 12:58 PM

Hmm, I wonder if this means Mark is ready to call it a day and the streak ends at 20-0.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:39 PM

is it really a streak? this stuff is all scripted so while the audience may not know whats happening and who will win and whatnot, everyone involved in the show does. so its all well to say "so and so has won x amount of times in a row" but its not like it happened because of that person's skill or athletism or anything, it was simply written that way.

i'm not knocking the actual show or even entertainment value. those who love dem some wrestling will likely love to have this but i'm just knocking the concept of the release i guess? nothing wrong with compilations like these for those who love a particular wrestler but its just the way they advertise the idea that seems silly to me.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
is it really a streak? this stuff is all scripted so while the audience may not know whats happening and who will win and whatnot, everyone involved in the show does. so its all well to say "so and so has won x amount of times in a row" but its not like it happened because of that person's skill or athletism or anything, it was simply written that way.

i'm not knocking the actual show or even entertainment value. those who love dem some wrestling will likely love to have this but i'm just knocking the concept of the release i guess? nothing wrong with compilations like these for those who love a particular wrestler but its just the way they advertise the idea that seems silly to me.
This isn't 1973, the people know for a fact is is all scripted. They (me included) still love it. The streak does mean something, and it is a direct result of his athleticism and skill, two factors among many others that determine whether or not a 'rassler' gets 'written' into success.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid View Post
This isn't 1973, the people know for a fact is is all scripted. They (me included) still love it. The streak does mean something, and it is a direct result of his athleticism and skill, two factors among many others that determine whether or not a 'rassler' gets 'written' into success.
I think it's more of a popularity/creative thing than athleticism and skill. Not that Undertaker isn't a skilled athlete because he is, but when the outcome is scripted they could do practically anything they want. They could have Hornswoggle go on an undefeated streak or be the only man in wrestling history to be the first one in the ring at the Royal Rumble who single-handedly eliminates all of the other competitors if they really wanted to do that.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
I think it's more of a popularity/creative thing than athleticism and skill. Not that Undertaker isn't a skilled athlete because he is, but when the outcome is scripted they could do practically anything they want. They could have Hornswoggle go on an undefeated streak or be the only man in wrestling history to be the first one in the ring at the Royal Rumble who single-handedly eliminates all of the other competitors if they really wanted to do that.
Oh, it IS a popularity thing, no doubt. But the reason why a wrestler gets popular in the first place, is one part athleticism. Now, that doesnt always go across the board...but generally so. Thats one of the reasons wrestling is fascinating to me..there are so many different aspects that really have to come together. The most athletically gifted wrestler in the world, with legitimate wrestling skills, may not get far in wrestling at all if he cant use a microphone to connect with the audience in one way or another..conversely, some fat doofus may be a 3 time champion because he is an amazing mic worker. 9 out of 10 times though, you have to have somewhat a combination of it all. Basically, I'm saying that as scripted as it is, if you don't have the athletic chops to make a believable story in the ring, odds are, you arent going to have a dvd come about about yourself.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:29 PM

On a side-note - I'd like to see him retire and get out of the game now. His body is already wrecked. As it stands now, I doubt he will even be able to walk in about 10 or 15 years. I think the streak is a great way to send him out, as he will never be known for having the most championships, the longest reign, or anything else that is usually put on highly regarded rasslers. He deserves something for putting his body on the line for the business for so long, and this is about all they can really do.
Old 04-13-2012, 02:43 PM

I will probably get this at some point. I have to admit he's my favorite (except when he became biker Undertaker of course).
Old 04-13-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
I will probably get this at some point. I have to admit he's my favorite (except when he became biker Undertaker of course).
I've actually never been a big fan of his, but I do have alot of respect for the time he has put in. He definitely deserves to have his name attached to something like a 20-year undefeated run on wrestlemania. Its the least they can do, other than the obvious hall of fame that is sure to come.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:57 PM
Former Member

Quote:
ahem, American Bad Ass.

honestly, i'm not a fan of the Undertaker. this last year, he 'rassled ONE match. ONE. KEVIN NASH, who blows out quads and ACL's faster than you can say his name, wrestled as much, if not more, than he did. the "streak" is a bunch of bullshit, because no one gives a rat's ass about Goldberg's "streak." They're both gimmicks. Goldberg was to create a mega-monster in a ratings war, Undertaker's was, once someone noticed he hadn't lost in WM, they made a big stink out of it.

There are few things more predictable than an Undertaker bout at WM. one is Mr H's writing himself into main events and championship runs, the other is Vince and H's shitting on any star who makes it in their system, but without THEIR help. ahem 18 seconds ahem.