'The Grapes of Wrath' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-11-2012, 07:18 PM

Default 'The Grapes of Wrath' - High-Def Digest Review

E has just reviewed John Ford's 'The Grapes of Wrath.' He says this remains one of the greatest motion pictures ever made. This Blu-ray features exceptional video and audio along with a strong collection of supplements. A must own.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6703/grapes_wrath.html
Old 04-11-2012, 09:07 PM

Simply an awesome movie. Looking forward to picking this up.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:12 PM

Never saw it. When price drops I'll buy for sure.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM

It always bothered me that the film cuts out almost the entire second half of the book (including the section that the title comes from) and gives the story an uplifting ending which more or less stands in direct opposition to the whole point of the novel.

But then, I've never been a big John Ford fan, and I haven't seen this in years. I should probably try it again.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
It always bothered me that the film cuts out almost the entire second half of the book (including the section that the title comes from) and gives the story an uplifting ending which more or less stands in direct opposition to the whole point of the novel.

But then, I've never been a big John Ford fan, and I haven't seen this in years. I should probably try it again.
How long would the film be; if it had indeed included: "almost the entire second half of the book"?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Whore View Post
How long would the film be; if it had indeed included: "almost the entire second half of the book"?
It's entirely possible to adjust the movie to reduce the amount of time spent on the first half of the novel and increase the amount of time spent on the second half, to reach a better compromise. As I said, the last half of the book is where the whole point of the book comes into play. By cutting that out, the movie misses the point of the book.

Again, I probably need to revisit this, but that was a major complaint of mine the last time I saw it.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.