Akira on Blu Ray? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-09-2012, 12:41 AM

Default Akira on Blu Ray?

Hey guys -- maybe a year ago I saw "Akira" on Blu Ray at best buy for like $30 -- and I didn't have enough expendable income at the time so I didn't pick it up.

Now, it's absolutely nowhere to be found, except on like Amazon through sellers, selling it for like $100!! Is it out of print permanently? Is a re-release being planned possibly or some kind of ultimo edition?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:44 PM

It's out of print. It was initially going to just be one edition, but because it sold out immediately, Bandai Visual decided to do a second run, and I believe that was it.

As for it being rereleased, good luck. Most Japanese items do not get rereleased, so once they are gone, they are gone. That does not mean it won't happen, as they may do a cheaper version in the future, but I doubt we will ever see it hit the American market now that Funimation is the only full time anime company.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Former Member

and good luck getting it from odd retailers. trust me, i checked when i saw it hit 60 bucks.

a reference disc, one of the most beloved anime features ever, and out of print. yeah, you really missed out. big time.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
and good luck getting it from odd retailers. trust me, i checked when i saw it hit 60 bucks.

a reference disc, one of the most beloved anime features ever, and out of print. yeah, you really missed out. big time.
Yep, I bought it when it came out and it's one of the prizes in my anime collection. The video is top notch and the audio is especially amazing. That's one thing about Japanese games and movies that come over here, if you don't jump on it immediately you pay for it later through resellers.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
It's out of print. It was initially going to just be one edition, but because it sold out immediately, Bandai Visual decided to do a second run, and I believe that was it.

As for it being rereleased, good luck. Most Japanese items do not get rereleased, so once they are gone, they are gone. That does not mean it won't happen, as they may do a cheaper version in the future, but I doubt we will ever see it hit the American market now that Funimation is the only full time anime company.
What a shame, I liked this movie. Oh well. Bandai so dumb
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
What a shame, I liked this movie. Oh well. Bandai so dumb
They're out of business! Not sure if it's really there fault or stupidity.
Old 04-09-2012, 07:04 PM

It is still widely available in the UK as a steelbook and relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akira-Collec...4012546&sr=8-1

Sadly it is locked to Region B, so you would need a region-free player. Seems the UK version is a direct port of the US edition, as it is typicall for the distributor.

Last edited by VincentVinyl; 04-09-2012 at 07:17 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VincentVinyl View Post
It is still widely available in the UK as a steelbook and relatively cheap:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Akira-Collec...4012546&sr=8-1

Sadly it is locked to Region B, so you would need a region-free player. Seems the UK version is a direct port of the US edition, as it is typicall for the distributor.
SHIT! I have a PS3. Otherwise I'd grab this
Old 04-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Damn, I had no idea that it went oop. Glad I bought it when I had the chance. It's a real shame though that people can't purchase this masterpiece.
Old 04-10-2012, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
They're out of business! Not sure if it's really there fault or stupidity.
No, that is Bandai USA, Bandai Visual is the Japanese company, who were the ones that released it in Japan and America at the same time.