Netflix Picks up the DVD.com Domain Name - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-03-2012, 01:30 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Netflix Picks up the DVD.com Domain Name

Currently, DVD.com points to a signup page for Netflix DVD subscriptions, but could something else be in the works?

http://www.multichannel.com/article/...omain_Name.php
Old 04-04-2012, 01:45 PM

I have been a Netflix subscriber for many years. Count me among those so pissed off with last year's shenanigans, that I dumped the streaming and drastically cut back my DVD rental usage (and my service cost).

So I have Dish Network. I now have Blockbuster's Movie Pass, recently renamed Blockbuster at Home. Their streaming selection isn't what Netflix's is (and Netflix sucks: just 39 streaming for over 300 movies in my queue), and the interface on the 722 DVR basically sucks. And now Blockbuster has closed the two closest stores to me, and the remaining store is much more inconvenient to get to, so now I'm pissed off at them.

So now I see this. As far as I'm concerned, Netflix doesn't give a crap about their physical disc renters. They were ready to get rid of us with the whole Quikster thing.

But maybe, just maybe they are seeing the light? Their business was built with physical disc renters, and we can be a very tenacious bunch.

I just wonder what this means. ... Just occurred to me, could they be getting ready to split off the physical disc business again, but with the DVD.com website instead of Quikster.com?

To be honest, I actually wouldn't have a problem with splitting the two services. I think then, the DVD business could get it's own CEO and dedicated management team, to once again focus on that side vs the streaming side.
Old 04-05-2012, 05:44 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Sounds like a ploy to reel in more dopes. I am referring to the dopes that type in what they want in the address bar rather than a search bar. So the ones that want "dvd" will end up on Netflix's site.