You’re Still Doing It Wrong: More Blu-ray Blunders!

- High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-02-2012, 05:49 PM

Default You’re Still Doing It Wrong: More Blu-ray Blunders!

While some issues have been addressed, there are a growing number of new problems and bugaboos that are a bit less than forgivable...

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/sh..._Blunders/9155
Old 04-02-2012, 06:09 PM

I completely agree with the Twilight Time debacle! I was unable to get Fright Night and now can't obtain a copy unless I want to shell out $100+ on ebay because they only released 3,000 copies of this cult favorite. And I, too, read their upcoming release of "As Good As It Gets" with an incredulous look on my face. Why the hell is Sony giving these great films to a tiny studio that will only release a pathetic amount to the public? And they also have the classic "Journey to the Center of the Earth" coming out?!? At least Criterion keeps the films on the market for a decent amount of time. And their releases are not relegated to one obscure online retailer either. It's a joke!
Old 04-02-2012, 06:12 PM

My current fuss about topic is the "rental" copies that are showing up in mailings from Blockbuster and Netflix. The have the full menu of the release of the film, however you can only access the setup menu and the main film. You cannot look at any of the special features at all. If you want to see them, you have to go out and buy the blu-ray.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:21 PM

As Good as it Gets is coming out through Twilight Time? Shit! Has it sold out already?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:29 PM

I tweeted you guys about this, but I disagree when it comes to Ultraviolet "digital copies". I find them horrible and avoid all movies that include them.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:33 PM

In regards to your value-dumps section, some studios have tried to do the flipper disc route, only to make fans angry. People claim that flipper discs aren't read well by all blu-ray drives, but I believe the biggest majority of people get upset because they want the individual discs, very possibly to sell the extras as you mentioned. In reality, it doesn't cost a studio that much more to add a disc or two into the package, and if they can get $4-$9 more per package, just because it's a 'limited edition' or 'combo pack,' it's still a viable market for them.
Old 04-02-2012, 06:59 PM

Good read. I didn't realize how many problems there still were out there. Luckily, I've encountered very few, but at least now I know what to look out for!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jay427 View Post
I tweeted you guys about this, but I disagree when it comes to Ultraviolet "digital copies". I find them horrible and avoid all movies that include them.
Yeah, I find them kind of pointless.

But then again, I'm in the camp of "only give me blu-rays". DVDs, digital copies, or anything else like that is just clutter to me.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:10 PM

I had to join just to comment on this story. You hit a lot of good points, but one thing I think you miss is under the DVD packing section you don't list Disney as one of the biggest if not the biggest culprit when it comes to DVD sized packing. I can't tell you how many times DVD sized packaging has ANNOYED me. Every time my folks pre-orders a Disney movie from the Disney store (so as to get the lithographs with the movie) all they can pre-order is the DVD sized version of the movie and not the blu-ray sized version (exception being 3D releases). I mean sure when my folks pre-order these movies they ultimately are given to the grandchildren (who could honestly care less what size packaging the movie comes in, but it's a little thing that bothers me) as presents. What also doesn't help is my folks shop at the retail chain BJ's Wholesale a lot and whenever I go there with them all I can ever find is the DVD sized packaging for Blu-ray releases and boy I find a LOT of them. I never see any Blu-ray sized packaging where DVD sized packaging is also available. Sometimes Bj's might have a deal on a movie but not carrying the blu-ray packaging kills the deal for me.

I think you should update the article to comment on Disney being the worst culprit for DVD packaging and also to criticize retailers that don't carry the Blu-ray sized packaging.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:17 PM

What drives me crazy is different pricing between Canada and the US. Canadian prices are crazy high compared to US, even though the Canadian dollar has been at parity, slightly higher, or slightly lower for over a year. Can you say "Rip off?". A recent example is Ghost Protocol, $29.99 or even $32.99 in Canada...while it's 21.99 in the US. Sorry...but I don't buy the "usual" excuses (lower sales, shipping, blah, blah, blah).