"Rental" blu-rays - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2012, 10:20 PM

Default "Rental" blu-rays

I was just curious what the general thoughts were on Blockbuster's rental videos. Many of them have a notice on the label saying "rental". They contain the full movie, TV program, etc, however, you cannot access any special features on the disc, even though they are listed in the menu. Personally, I find this very annoying to be told that I have to buy the video in order to look at the features.

I rent from Blockbuster via their mail service. Netflix does not have this problem, I don't believe. At least I don't remember getting any discs from them that have the "rental" designation on them.
Old 03-31-2012, 12:03 AM

The really funny thing is . . do they really believe folks are going to run out to purchase the video after renting it just to see a few "extras"? They really can't be quite that unrealistic, can they? Well, yeah, they go through the extra expense of manufacturing, stocking and distributing multiple versions of their title offerings in order to feed this fantasy, so they obviously must be that unrealistic . . .
Old 03-31-2012, 12:35 AM
Former Member

Exactly Rich's point. These are another disc manufactured. New artwork (to represent the RENTAL label), new disc art (often carrying a rental circle). These discs sometimes lack some of the technical qualities of the legit retail disc (though Summit has released some discs to the public with that same low standard), sometimes carrying inferior audio. They are generally looked down on as low cost cheapie editions, due to the Blockbuster stores selling them so damn cheap when they're no longer being rented out, or, you know, the store closes and clears out everything.

If you listed 20 movies on Ebay as rental versions, you might get 50 to 100 bucks, depending on if they're good ones. If you listed the retail versions of the same movies, you'd get 30 to 80 bucks more. In this shit economy, the fact that beggars are still choosers says it all.