'Chariots of Fire' is coming July 10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-30-2012, 01:05 PM

Default 'Chariots of Fire' is coming July 10

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3144...otsoffire.html
Old 03-31-2012, 03:50 PM

FINALLY!!!!!!!!!!!!! Vangelis and Bilbo in hi-def glory. Incredible movie day one pickup.

Last edited by djwcaw; 03-31-2012 at 04:02 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 01:32 AM

Am also looking forward to this one!
Old 04-01-2012, 03:34 AM
Former Member

Another AA Best Picture award winner down. Not many left to go!
Old 04-03-2012, 06:44 PM
Banned

I like this Christian movie. I use to own Charriots of Fire on Laserdisc than DVD. Now I will get rid of my DVD and will own it on Blu-ray.
Old 07-19-2012, 05:38 AM
Banned

This Chariots of Fire 1981 film is one of my favorite Christian movies (released on Blu-ray July 10th 2012)

This Chariots of Fire movie is based on many historical facts. I realize that this Chariots of Fire film is also a very popular secular family movie for people from all walks of life, but I call it a Christian movie because of its strong Christian message surrounding the life of Eric Liddell. Many Jewish families love the historic Harold Abraham in the movie that fights to be treated fairly when around the year 1919 he experiences some anti-Semitism. Overall the Chariots of Fire movie did a good job of attracting a non-religious audience, Christian audience, and Jewish audience according to what I understand from watching the bonus material on the Blu-ray disc.

The Chariots of Fire movie has a very strong Christian message when it comes to the life of Eric Liddell. The character called Eric Liddell when he preaches mentions Jesus Christ a few times. Audiences learn that the reason Eric Liddell is a runner is so he can give glory to God (His way of worshiping God). There are several scenes in the movie showing Eric Liddell preaching either in church or in outdoor locations. This movie shows Eric Liddell as a very devoted Christian that does not drink or smoke and honors the Sabbath. Eric Liddell’s Christian beliefs and personal character is put to the test when he finds out that he is required to run on the Sabbath. The world is surprised that this Olympic Athlete is willing to place God first and would be willing to give up several year's worth of training so he can instead honor the Sabbath day. The Chariots of Fire film overall most of the time does an accurate job retelling historic events surrounding the 1924 Summer Olympics (According to the bonus material on the Blu-ray the film crew even examined the silent films and photographs from the 1924 Summer Olympics in order to get things historically accurate as possible in the 1981 Chariots of Fire movie). This Chariots of Fire movie does an excellent job of showing the true life story of Eric Liddell who later in life became a very popular Christian missionary to China.

This 1981 Chariots of Fire movie is a family friendly film with very minor language and nudity issues. In fact according to the audio commentary track this Chariots of Fire movie was going to receive a G rating but a decision was made to inset one swear word into the movie so that it would receive a PG rating. The fear was if the movie would have been rated G that it would not be carried by some theaters and/or sell as many tickets. So at exactly 6 minutes and 10 seconds into the movie the word “sh**s” is used in order to make sure the 1981 film received a PG rating instead of a G rating. The only nudity in the movie lasts a total of 1 second, on the high resolution Blu-ray in the background on the right a full body rear view of a man in the locker room can be seen taking a shower between 47 minutes and 38 seconds and 47 minutes and 39 seconds into the movie.

I enjoyed the 36 page photo book and the bonus CD with 4 songs that was included with the Chariots of Fire Blu-ray (Digibook).

Video and audio quality comments

This Chariots of Fire film was placed on a dual layer Blu-ray disc. In fact only 41.5GB is used out of 50GB for both the movie and extras (Maybe one day we will see super bit edition that maximizes the video bit rate with the entire 50GB disc being used). The Chariots of Fire Blu-ray uses the MPEG-4/AVC codec for all the menus, bonus features, and main movie. The 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio is bit for bit the same as the studio master. Both the video and audio were excellent (audio for this classic 1981 movie mostly offers audio with the front speakers active for the majority of the time). The OPPO BDP-93 bit rate meter reported that the combined video and audio bit rate was in the mid to upper 30’s for many scenes. This film looks like it received a 4K scan before being downconverted to 1080P. The level of resolution depth and color accuracy is awesome. Some scenes also have some nice deep black levels with good shadow detail. I have never seen this film look and sound so good on a home video format before.

99% of all the bonus material is encoded with Dolby Prologic on this Blu-ray disc

The bonus material was enjoyable to watch and listen too, especially the audio commentary track. All the bonus material is encoded using MPEG-4/AVC at a fairly high bit rate (The old DVD version used MPEG-2 480i which does not look as good). Some of the bonus material uses 1080P MPEG-4/AVC while the rest of the bonus materiel is 480i MPEG-4/AVC. All the bonus material uses 2.0 Dolby Digital stereo. Most of the bonus materiel is encoded with Dolby Prologic information. The only bonus material not offering Dolby Prologic is the 480i Widescreen Theatrical trailer. To hear the Dolby Prologic information you will need to own a surround sound receiver and the Blu-ray player will need to be placed in the bitstream mode. For example when my Blu-ray player was set to bitstream mode my Pioneer Elite A/V receiver automatically went into the Dolby Pro Logic IIx mode after detecting Pro Logic information. Listening to the audio commentary track offered some nice depth to the audio commentary track when the Prologic information was extracted from the 2.0 Dolby Digital soundtrack (99% of the bonus material on this Blu-ray disc is encoded with prologic information).