Don't Buy Zodiac Yet! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-19-2007, 04:19 PM

Default Don't Buy Zodiac Yet!

This is by far my favorite movie of 2007 thus far so I was pissed that they pushed the hi-def versions back. Now we know why:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zodiac_%28film%29#DVD

...there is a trailer for a director's cut to be released in 2008. Extras will include, "footage not seen in theaters including commentary by David Fincher, Jake Gyllenhaal, Robert Downey, Jr., James Vanderbilt, Brad Fischer and special guest James Ellroy. An in-depth examination of the Zodiacís actual crimes including all-new interviews with the original investigators, survivors and informants and extensive behind-the-scenes supplements covering nearly every aspect of David Fincherís landmark film.Ē[36] According to the David Prior, producer of the upcoming special edition, the bare bones edition "was only reluctantly agreed to by Fincher because I needed more time on the bonus material. The studio was locked into their release date (and bound and determined to release a single-disc, which nobody except them wanted), so Fincher allowed that to be released first. It had nothing to do with Fincher 'double dipping his own movie before it even makes it to stores' and everything to do with buying more time for the special edition."[37] He stated that the theatrical cut will only be available on the single disc edition. Prior elaborated further: "Nobody wants fans feeling like they're being taken advantage of, and I know that double-dipping creates that impression. That's why it was so important to me that consumers be told there was another version coming. In this case it really was a rock-and-a-hard place situation, and delaying the second release was done strictly for the benefit of the final product...But this is a very ambitious project, easily the most far-reaching I've ever worked on, and owing largely to studio snafus that I can't really elaborate on, I didn't have enough time to do it properly. Thus Fincher bought me the extra time by agreeing to a staggered release, which I'm very grateful for."

Here's a picture of the ad in the DVD:

http://davisdvd.com/images/news/zodiacad.jpg

I remember reading Fincher interviews at the time talking about how painful it was for him to cut the movie down to 2 1/2 hours, so it's great he's able to restore his vision. I just wish it was coming faster!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info, I loved this one as well but will be waiting for the directors cut in 2008! Lets just hope that it will be on BD and not only DVD...
Old 07-19-2007, 08:04 PM

Awww man!

I was soo looking forward to finally getting this on BD in September!

I'll get it anyway though, I can't wait till '08, this was one of the best movies of the year so far imo.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:19 PM

I'll get both versions. It was a terrific film and I want the version I saw at the cinema as well as any extended version.

One of the problems with some of Sony's blu-ray releases is that they are NOT the theatrical version - Donnie Brasco for instance, was better in the theatrical version and do we really need a longer version of The Patriot?

HD DVD has a similar issue with 40-Yr-Old Virgin, an already overlong movie is stretched out to tedious lengths in the unrated cut.

I'll bet Zodiac is worth the extended version though.
Old 07-19-2007, 09:16 PM

They did the same thing with Panic Room, so, no great surprise!
Old 07-19-2007, 11:29 PM

I can't wait either. Oh well.
Old 07-20-2007, 07:12 AM

Must resist double dipping...2008....cant hold out much longer....Might be able to wait it out if it is released in early 2008, like Jan. 2!! I really want this movie but I HATE double dipping.