'Altered States,' 'The Astronaut's Wife,' and 'Brainstorm' are coming July 10 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-22-2012, 03:05 PM

Default 'Altered States,' 'The Astronaut's Wife,' and 'Brainstorm' are coming July 10

Altered States
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3782/alteredstates.html

The Astronaut's Wife
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3877...nautswife.html

Brainstorm
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6781/brainstorm.html
Old 03-22-2012, 05:10 PM

Curious how the aspect ratio will be handled on Brainstorm. In theaters, the 1.85:1 "real world" scenes were pillarboxed in the center of the screen, and the picture would expand outwards during the 2.35:1 "brainstorm" sequences. The first Laserdisc edition recreated this, which meant that the majority of the movie was windowboxed in the middle of a (4:3, at the time) TV screen with black bars all around.

Later Laserdisc and DVD editions reversed the whole dynamic of the movie, so that the real-world scenes were larger and filled a 16:9 TV screen, while the brainstorm sequences were letterboxed.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
Curious how the aspect ratio will be handled on Brainstorm. In theaters, the 1.85:1 "real world" scenes were pillarboxed in the center of the screen, and the picture would expand outwards during the 2.35:1 "brainstorm" sequences. The first Laserdisc edition recreated this, which meant that the majority of the movie was windowboxed in the middle of a (4:3, at the time) TV screen with black bars all around.

Later Laserdisc and DVD editions reversed the whole dynamic of the movie, so that the real-world scenes were larger and filled a 16:9 TV screen, while the brainstorm sequences were letterboxed.
Oh man, I loved Brainstorm, it was also Natalie Woods last movie.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:29 PM
Former Member

Astronaut's Wife is my only MUST of these 3. Altered States didn't do it for me, have yet to see Brainstorm. May check it out for right price. AW, though, I really liked the pace and structure of it when I first saw it 5, 6 years ago, and would love to see it again.
Old 03-23-2012, 09:14 AM

"Altered States" blew the entire contents of my 20-year-old skull into the back of the theater seat. I can't even remember how many times I went back to see it again. The John Corigliano score alone was worth the price of admission. I wonder how well it holds up.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:15 PM

I love Altered States. It deserves a better release than the flipper disc it got back when dvds first came out.
Old 03-23-2012, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
In theaters, the 1.85:1 "real world" scenes were pillarboxed in the center of the screen, and the picture would expand outwards during the 2.35:1 "brainstorm" sequences.
More importantly, I want them to use the Showscan version and transfer at 1080i60. I'm not naive enough to think that they will, though.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:14 AM

I was way off on the quality "Dangerous Liaisons" BD would be; hope I'm super surprised by "AS" BD as well!
Old 03-24-2012, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
Astronaut's Wife is my only MUST of these 3. Altered States didn't do it for me, have yet to see Brainstorm. May check it out for right price. AW, though, I really liked the pace and structure of it when I first saw it 5, 6 years ago, and would love to see it again.

Wow. I should have walked out on Astronaut's Wife when I saw it in theaters. I hated it and hated the fact that they tried to remake Rosemary's Baby.
Old 03-24-2012, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrunoBruin View Post
"Altered States" blew the entire contents of my 20-year-old skull into the back of the theater seat. I can't even remember how many times I went back to see it again. The John Corigliano score alone was worth the price of admission. I wonder how well it holds up.
I was equally captivated with it and enjoyed uncounted repeat viewings of a 70mm print with a six track magnetic sound track. That track alone in DTS-HD Master should be mind blowing and don't even start me on the visuals!