'The Last Temptation of Christ' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2012, 07:08 PM

Default 'The Last Temptation of Christ' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of the Criterion release of 'The Last Temptation of Christ' has just been posted. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6257...on_christ.html
Old 03-12-2012, 07:32 PM

Default zealots?

For not wanting God to appear as man? It's the very definition of blasphemy. Even if you disagree, it's logical to be offended by that and certainly not worthy of your criticisms.
Old 03-12-2012, 09:11 PM

dafoe is a good character actor, plays some good villains and weird people but damn.....how'd he ever get this gig? jesus is usually played by decent looking people. lol
Old 03-12-2012, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
dafoe is a good character actor, plays some good villains and weird people but damn.....how'd he ever get this gig? jesus is usually played by decent looking people. lol
Okay, did you see his bod? He's sexy Jesus. Rock me sexy Jesus, indeed.

lolz
Old 03-12-2012, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheez avenger View Post
Okay, did you see his bod? He's sexy Jesus. Rock me sexy Jesus, indeed.

lolz
me thinks Falco has the title for his comeback record!! :P
Old 03-13-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
me thinks Falco has the title for his comeback record!! :P
Too bad he passed away in 1997. He sure was a great artist.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:18 PM

this is an excellent film, and a great review E. as a lifelong Catholic, i can never quite understand how anyone that truly thinks can get caught up in the film's "controversy". anyone who understands personal art can understand exactly what Scorsese was doing with this film.

i'm really looking forward to getting this edition. i've seen the film twice before, but both viewings were done in two sittings, so the 3rd will most definitely be the charm.

bout time that Criterion has brought one of The Master's works to Blu-ray.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMA View Post
this is an excellent film, and a great review E. as a lifelong Catholic, i can never quite understand how anyone that truly thinks can get caught up in the film's "controversy". anyone who understands personal art can understand exactly what Scorsese was doing with this film.

i'm really looking forward to getting this edition. i've seen the film twice before, but both viewings were done in two sittings, so the 3rd will most definitely be the charm.

bout time that Criterion has brought one of The Master's works to Blu-ray.
I never saw this and always wanted too. I'll probably rent it first. I think the controversy was more because of the time it was released. Had this been put out today it would not have garnered as much controversy. Tough to say.
Old 03-13-2012, 04:03 PM

I was in Catholic School in the 6th grade when this came out. Back then you couldn't tell the nuns nothing about this. They did not want to hear or know anything about the film. It's almost like if they acknowledged it it may destroy their faith. Strange, I know. When I finally got to watching it (VHS from West Coast Video) I thought it was a really a reaffirmation of the Catholic religion and of the life and historical importance of the man, Jesus Christ. It's a heck of a movie then as it is now. Enough time has passed for the controversy to end so that it can be enjoyed for the great film that it is.
Old 03-13-2012, 06:10 PM
Banned

Why many Christians boycott The Last Temptation of Christ movie

Many Catholics and Protestants believe the Last Temptation of Christ movie is blasphemy since it is a fictional movie about Jesus Christ and not based on the historical New Testament Gospels.

The following are a few quotes on the controversy:

The film contains many elements not found within the texts of the four Gospel writers in the New Testament, and not supported by any teachings of the major traditions of Christianity. This has been a source of contention and controversy despite the disclaimer stating that it is "not based on the gospels".

One of the dominant sources of controversy stems from an "alternate reality" near the end of the movie
Spoiler
in which Jesus is depicted as marrying
Spoiler

The rationale behind this scene is that embracing his full humanity represents the true last temptation of Christ; that is,
Spoiler
the temptation to forego the cross and lead a life of a normal man, free from the burden of being crucified and of being the salvation of mankind. In the image of a beautiful, androgynous child, Satan suggests to Jesus that there is no real reason to die, and that he should come down from the cross and lead a normal human life, telling Jesus he is in fact not the Messiah. In this dreamscape, Jesus marries and raises a family, and lives through many other experiences considered part of a normal human existence.

Other controversial factors in the film include Jesus's vocation as a builder of crosses for the Romans, kissing other men on the lips, being tormented by the voice of God, lamenting the many sins he believes he has committed, using the divine name in the form Jehovah, and
Spoiler
concluding the film with crucifixion rather than resurrection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Last_Temptation_of_Christ_(film)

Last edited by eNoize; 03-13-2012 at 06:55 PM. Reason: adding spoiler tags