'The Muppets' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-12-2012, 12:10 PM

Default 'The Muppets' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just reviewed 'The Muppets!' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6274...011_value.html
Old 03-12-2012, 12:18 PM

5 Star Video and Audio? Better than I could have hoped for!

Nobody may guess, but I'm actually a huge Muppet fan.

I loved this movie so much. It just had me overjoyed the whole way through. Easily my favourite movie of 2011.

I don't suppose you could tell me if it's region locked?
Old 03-12-2012, 12:26 PM

This was the film I was most disappointed in last year. Loved the original and even liked Muppets From Space quite a bit and was expecting something close to that here. Maybe I went in with expectations that were too high. I laughed maybe 2 or 3 times and the music was decent but nothing memorable.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Kermit View Post
I don't suppose you could tell me if it's region locked?
Well, Aaron says it's region free in his review ("The back of the case indicates a Region Free status")

Perfect review, Aaron! I truly loved each and every moment of the movie and I can't wait to see it again. Segel & co deserve multiple statues for making such a passionate love letter to the Muppets.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:16 PM

Day. One. For. Me.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:21 PM

The sad news is that Segel won't be back for the sequel due to conflicts with other movies and 'How I Met Your Mother.'

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-12-2012, 03:29 PM

Guess I should stop skimming reviews. :P

Fantastic... I'll be ordering this as soon as I have some extra money... considering it only came out mid-January in Australia, we've probably got a few months to wait... plus they will charge more when it finally gets released. So stuff that.
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zombie Kermit View Post
Guess I should stop skimming reviews. :P

Fantastic... I'll be ordering this as soon as I have some extra money... considering it only came out mid-January in Australia, we've probably got a few months to wait... plus they will charge more when it finally gets released. So stuff that.
Just letting you know I haven't tested the disc on other region coded players, but the code sign below is printed on the back so I trust Disney that it really is a region free disc.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-12-2012, 03:37 PM

best buy has one of those steel book cases if you preorder, but i'll probably just roll with amazon
Old 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
The sad news is that Segel won't be back for the sequel due to conflicts with other movies and 'How I Met Your Mother.'
Allegedly, there was some strife behind the scenes on this one between Segel and the studio with regard to the final cut. There was a lot more footage cut than wound up in the Blu-ray's Deleted Scenes section.

It's pretty obvious in the movie that chunks of some storylines are missing and don't go anywhere. Chris Cooper's recurring "Maniacal Laugh" gag is missing both the setup and payoff, and makes basically no sense at all in the movie. Yet his cringe-worthy rap scene remained in.

I liked the movie, but didn't love it. It's a little too heavy on the nostalgia and too light on laughs. I'd be curious to find out if Segel's script and original cut had a different emphasis.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.