'The Three Musketeers' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Default 'The Three Musketeers' - High-Def Digest Review

Steven Cohen has reviewed 'The Three Musketeers.' The film was directed by Paul W.S. Anderson. Do we need to go on? OK, you asked for it. Here's the full review:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6438/three_musketeers_2011.html
Old 03-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Thank you for the review. I had mixed expectations on this one, but the cover alone tells me to avoid it like the plague.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:45 PM
Former Member

I want to see it for Jovovich. I want to avoid it due to the rest of the cast.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
Thank you for the review. I had mixed expectations on this one, but the cover alone tells me to avoid it like the plague.
Thought the same thing LMAO!!!!
Old 03-09-2012, 03:53 PM

I'm usually a Paul Anderson apologist, but this movie was just downright bad. I agree with the review that some of the action and the visuals can be very good and fun but the rest of the movie is pretty awful, the end is a complete cop out and IMO really anti-climactic and of course after that ending we can just try and push a useless sequel, Lehrman is terrible in about anything I've seen him in, but so far he's only been in stuff with horrible scripts, this one and Percy Jackson (which was one of the worst translations of a novel I've probably ever seen) dont give him anything to do, so until he gets a decent movie to be in, I cant tell if he'll ever be good or not.

Needless to say as a fan of Paul Anderson and almost all of his movies, this isnt one I will be buying or watching again
Old 03-09-2012, 05:41 PM

Blind buy for me (3D version). While I do appreciate and respect Steven's thoughts and review on this particular flick, anything that has demo worthy audio and video and is almost 4 stars on the movie itself....screams buy for me.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:12 PM

Hollywood can be a bit puzzling. Why make a movie like this that has been done a million times & that no one is exactly waiting for with baited breath? Instead of that, why not make something that hasn't been made before, like Uncharted, Halo, Spyhunter or one of those many Call of Duty like games? Those would be right up PWS Anderson's alley since he's made many vid game adaptations. There was no need for this movie to be made at all, when there are good ideas out there at least in vid games & graphic novels waiting to be made.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:23 PM

Looking forward to it. I'm a fan of Paul WS Anderson's b-films. Been meaning to get Soldier for a while now and this one is steampunk, so it works out.
Old 03-11-2012, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plissken99 View Post
No joke! It seriously is the worst Blu-Ray cover I have seen in some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taygan315 View Post
Blind buy for me (3D version). While I do appreciate and respect Steven's thoughts and review on this particular flick, anything that has demo worthy audio and video and is almost 4 stars on the movie itself....screams buy for me.
Not that we should base all of our buying decisions on a single review, but... Are there so few good movies with great picture and sound that you'll buy anything that looks and sounds pretty?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:31 PM

I actually really enjoyed this. It's tongue was firmly in its cheek, and it's great fun throughout. The action is fun, the acting is pretty good (The young lead was just okay, but everyone else was clearly having a ball), Milla is superb, the effects and design work for everything from the gadgets to the costumes are fantastic...

It separates itself from every other Musketeer film by being more of a steampunk style fantasy than a straight forward period adventure. If that's how you view it, then I think you'll just have great fun watching it.

I'll admit, though, that cover is terrible. It sorely needed a good retro painted poster, Drew Stuzan style (Might have to knock one up myself, actually).