'Immortals' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Default 'Immortals' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just reviewed 'Immortals.' You'll probably be watching a heavily edited, sped up broadcast of this on TNT some Saturday afternoon in 2015. Here is our review.

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6394...als_combo.html
Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Wife just got this one, so probably will be watching it this weekend. Going in with low expectations.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Amazon says "In stock on March 10, 2012."

Hopefully mine comes with the slipcover,or i will be pissed
Old 03-08-2012, 05:07 PM

somgui incogneeto is pretty good
Old 03-08-2012, 05:48 PM

One thing that did not make sense in the review to me was this paragraph.........

Despite the film's power, and energy, it lacks dynamic range. This issue will mostly like affect some more than others; I'm rarely a self-defined audiophile, but my favorite tracks tend to be rich with detail all through the auditory spectrum. 'Immortals' is missing something, almost as if track is compressed. Further, the sound design itself seems a tad rough. One example of this is, when people get skewered and blood pops out, the "squish" sound effect is overtly loud and sounds more like an "effect" than an auditory representation (however stylized) of screen action. Lastly, Dialog is crystal clear throughout, but when volume is adjusted to hear it, music and effects levels are bombastic.

The first sentence claims the film lacks dynamic range with the audio, but the last sentence seems to contradict this which says "Dialog is crystal clear throughout, but when volume is adjusted to hear it, music and effects levels are bombastic"............................this would suggest a very wide dynamic range. So my question is this.....is the dynamic range limited, or is it simply that certain parts of the dynamic range are missing? Dynamic range can be VERY wide from one extreme to the other, but still be missing certain ranges in between.........is that the case here?

Thanks
Old 03-08-2012, 06:03 PM

watched this in theaters, thought it would be comparable to 300, esp with the 'visionary' director. this comes close to about an arm or a leg of 300 at best. it's like an episode of something rather than a story that stands as a whole.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:05 PM

I watched this last night, and wasn't a fan. I sold it as soon as I finished watching it.

The acting and visuals in this were solid, but the storyline was very poor. I'll stick with Clash of the Titans (any version) over this.
Old 03-08-2012, 06:17 PM

Every thing I have read about this movie has said it was not shot in 3D, but a post conversion.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:17 AM

Since when did movie reviewing become a play-by-play retelling of the whole story? Paragraph after paragraph telling us what happens. I just want the basic premise... so I still have reason to watch the movie! First movie trailers tell the whole story... now the reviewers do too? Between them and big-mouthed friends, it's getting to where I don't even have to actually watch movies anymore. Maybe I should appreciate the time everyone is saving me!
Old 03-09-2012, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Phaedra (Freida Pinot) is an Oracle, who sees visions of the future, and this one is terrifying.
how dare you misspell my future wife and future baby mama's name lol