'Downton Abbey: Season Two' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-07-2012, 05:29 PM

Default 'Downton Abbey: Season Two' - High-Def Digest Review

A review different take on 'Downton Abbey.' Luke's review of 'Downton Abbey: Season Two.'

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5987..._abbey_s2.html
Old 03-07-2012, 08:57 PM

Two separate reviewers for the two seasons? That's pretty disjointed and it's going to throw a lot of people off. Either have the same person review both seasons or have both people review both seasons.
Old 03-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathKnight View Post
Two separate reviewers for the two seasons? That's pretty disjointed and it's going to throw a lot of people off. Either have the same person review both seasons or have both people review both seasons.
That's how we usually do it. Sometimes certain circumstances arise that make it impossible to do it all the time though.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 03-08-2012, 04:39 AM

Just goes to show why this site should completely eliminate the rating giving by the reviewer as to how good they think the film / show is. Having only one person's opinion , no matter how valid either way, does no favours at all to anyone trying to work out whether it is good entertainment or not.
Never was that more clearly shown than with this TV series. The first season is reviewed by someone who is obviously a fan of this type of show and the second season reviewed by someone who took an instant and unobjective dislike to it which instantly coloured and prejudiced their ratings across the board.
This can be seen in how they each rate the video and audio quality. Season 2 is a slight improvement in both aspects over season 1 but season 2's ratings have been slashed across the board simply because the reviewer doesn't like the show.
Irrespective of whether you like or hate the series, that is not objective reviewing or if it is, then this site's reviewers are not singing from the same hymn sheet when it comes to a critique of audio & video quality and in order to be considered seriously, it is vital that in those aspects at least, they do use the same guidelines and critique.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:09 AM

Just wow. I haven't posted to the forum in years, but have still been visiting frequently. Just had to post after reading the Downton reviews back to back. To each their own, and I actually like the ability to read from multiple reviewers because it's obvious that this show has some polarizing aspects. For instance, I love the show, but do find it a bit soapy at times and frankly the aristocrats piss me off (of course, Thomas and O'Brien do no favors in terms of the likeability of the servants, nor the general acceptance of their lot in life).

Regardless, I do feel like the review of Season 2 is fairly biased. The only talking point is that it's a soap opera presentation, i.e. the plot is discussed. There is little discussion of the dialogue or character interactions. And there is no discussion of the production values of the show. The costumes are great, the sets are fantastic, details feel right, I often feel as if I stepped into the turn of the century England.

With that said, I'll admit I am a fan of the show. So of course I would disagree with a 2 star rating. I just feel like the only thing the reviewer cared about was the plot details, instead of the whole presentation which is what television and movies are about. I've seen plenty of movies with little to no plot development, based solely around dialogue and staging, that were fantastic. To assume that those aspects of production are irrelevant is slightly ignorant, especially when you're reviewing an entire TV series/season (depending on which side of the pond you are on).

I guess I just assumed HDD reviewers took everything in a show into account, not just how cool the plot elements are.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:11 PM

This is a terrible review. Probably one of the worst reviews I've ever read. There's no criticism of the show, just Mr. Hickman's lame attempts to be snarky about something that doesn't fall into his wheelhouse. Well, great, but what if I don't happen to share his particular (and, apparently, particularly idiosyncratic) tastes? Can you tell me anything about what the show is trying to accomplish and why it succeeds or fails to do so?

HDD needs to do better than this or else ditch a review of the content altogether.

(N.B., I've never seen a "Downton" episode, so I have no dog in the fight of whether the author is right or wrong. I do, however, a dog in the fight of whether our media criticism produces anything worth reading.)
Old 03-08-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TL View Post
This is a terrible review. Probably one of the worst reviews I've ever read. There's no criticism of the show, just Mr. Hickman's lame attempts to be snarky about something that doesn't fall into his wheelhouse. Well, great, but what if I don't happen to share his particular (and, apparently, particularly idiosyncratic) tastes? Can you tell me anything about what the show is trying to accomplish and why it succeeds or fails to do so?

HDD needs to do better than this or else ditch a review of the content altogether.

(N.B., I've never seen a "Downton" episode, so I have no dog in the fight of whether the author is right or wrong. I do, however, a dog in the fight of whether our media criticism produces anything worth reading.)
Have to agree. This review seems...thick.

Don't get me started on different people reviewing Season 1 and 2.
Old 03-08-2012, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *TL View Post
Well, great, but what if I don't happen to share his particular (and, apparently, particularly idiosyncratic) tastes?
You are required by law to agree with the review as published. If you don't, you will be summarily arrested, strip-searched, imprisoned, and tortured mercilessly every minute for the rest of your natural life. That's what happens. It's a fate worse than death. You better be careful. There are no other alternatives.
My opinions are strictly my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of this site, its owners or employees.
Old 03-08-2012, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Z View Post
You are required by law to agree with the review as published....
As hilarious as that zinger is, you'll note that my comment had nothing to do with whether I "agree[d] with the review." To be sure, there's nothing to agree or disagree with as far as the content of the program is concerned. Sorry if was too much to ask a critic to, you know, engage with the material in a meaningful way.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:28 PM

Movie reviews are subjective--I understand that. But when Downton Abby 2 is given 2 stars, I think of other movies awarded 2 stars by High Def reviews, and they were absolutely horrid. Take the film Striptease. Rotten Tomatoes, a site I trust, gives Striptease 11%--absolutely horrid, and rightfully so. H-Def Reviews gives it a paltry 3 stars--very generous. So, while reviews are subjective, no way in anyone's mind, on the face of the earth (beyond teenage boys) will think Striptease is a better film than Downton Abby. No one.

Another recent review, Apollo 18--2* on High Def, and 25% on Rotten Tomatoes. But, High-Def rates this stinker just as good as Downton Abby 2. Then there's the classic, Mega Python vs. Gatoroid--rated 2* by High Def, and Rotten Tomatoes didn't even bother (although subscribers gave it an 18%). So, High Def puts Downton Abby 2 in the exulted company of Mega Python vs. Gatoroid. Sweet.

Just for a few quick hits that were rated 2* or higher, Beavis & Butt-Head: Volume 4 (2*), WWE: Wrestlemania XXVII (2.5*), Gnomeo & Juliet (2.5*--you've got to be kidding, right??), WWE Royal Rumble 2011 (2.5*), The True Story of Wrestlemania (3*, kind of a tread at High Def--fake testosterone wrestling, YES!, British Drama--meh), and, finally Mega Shark vs. Giant Octopus (2.5*).

Really, this "review" should be an embarrassment and pulled to prevent further negative feedback. However, based on your reviews I think I'll rent Mega Python vs. Gatoroid. If it's the same quality as Downton Abby--as your review suggests--I'm certainly in for a cinematic experience. Thanks for the heads up!