Spielberg's comments about "ET" Blu-Ray - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2012, 11:44 PM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Default Spielberg's comments about "ET" Blu-Ray

I am surprised nobody mentioned this one;
Entertainment Weekly's Dec 9, 2011 issue had an interview with the great Steven Spielberg. It pretty much determines a when, not if on the release of E.T. to Blu-ray.

For purposes of the Question and Answer, George is referring to George Lucas.

Quote:
George famously tinkers with his movies after the fact. But you've said that you regret changing E.T. for the 2002 rerelease and would never change another of your movies.

George goes by his playbook, and I go by mine. I did alter E.T., and I do regret making those alterations. When the movie comes out on Blu-ray, either we will package both versions for the same price-nobody has to pay more money for the rejiggered version-or we will just bite the bullet and come out with the 1982 version.

Quote:
Now your philosophy is to not change even the rough edges?

My philosophy now is that every single movie is a signpost of its time, and it should stand for that. We shouldn't go back and change the parting of the Red Sea in Cecil B DeMille's The Ten Commandments just because with digital tools we now can make that even more spectacular than it was.
I would suspect a similar release on Blu as was on dvd, BOTH versions in the same set but many of us couldn't care less about the 2002 version.

I am quite pleased that this is his thinking. Whether it be from criticism or a change of heart, who cares!?
I don't consider the digital tinkering of Star Trek TOS and TNG to be a bad thing, with TOS we can watch either version and with TNG they just had to due to shortsightedness when the decisions on post-production work gave us an inferior product.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I am surprised nobody mentioned this one;
Entertainment Weekly's Dec 9, 2011 issue had an interview with the great Steven Spielberg. It pretty much determines a when, not if on the release of E.T. to Blu-ray.

For purposes of the Question and Answer, George is referring to George Lucas.

I would suspect a similar release on Blu as was on dvd, BOTH versions in the same set but many of us couldn't care less about the 2002 version.

I am quite pleased that this is his thinking. Whether it be from criticism or a change of heart, who cares!?
I don't consider the digital tinkering of Star Trek TOS and TNG to be a bad thing, with TOS we can watch either version and with TNG they just had to due to shortsightedness when the decisions on post-production work gave us an inferior product.
IMO TNG is a different animal and the changes are/were needed for blu ray.

I greatly respect Spielberg if he includes both versions unlike George Lucas, that piece of excrement jerk.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:38 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
IMO TNG is a different animal and the changes are/were needed for blu ray.

I greatly respect Spielberg if he includes both versions unlike George Lucas, that piece of excrement jerk.
I think we all agree with both comments. TNG was intended to be a certain way and their shortsightedness in how they handled postproduction required they re-do it. The signpost comment stuck out too. Star Wars 1977 has had how many retinkers? It is no longer a 1977 movie.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I think we all agree with both comments. TNG was intended to be a certain way and their shortsightedness in how they handled postproduction required they re-do it. The signpost comment stuck out too. Star Wars 1977 has had how many retinkers? It is no longer a 1977 movie.
Exactly.
I would be ok if Lucas was including the originals but he's trying hard to completely wipe them away. He is a piece of ****.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:28 PM

Exactly. If Lucas would just include the originals alongside the special editions, everybody would be happy. Fox could have even charged a little bit more for the set. But unfortunately George Lucas is the biggest dink on the planet, now that Bin Laden is dead.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
Exactly. If Lucas would just include the originals alongside the special editions, everybody would be happy. Fox could have even charged a little bit more for the set. But unfortunately George Lucas is the biggest dink on the planet, now that Bin Laden is dead.
Could not have said it better myself, thank you!