'The Big Trail' and 'The Barbarian and the Geisha' are coming May 8 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Default 'The Big Trail' and 'The Barbarian and the Geisha' are coming May 8

Wal-Mart exclusive:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6636/big_trail.html
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6637...an_geisha.html
Old 03-01-2012, 01:12 PM

We're getting of the only Fox Grandeur titles (also Wayne's first starring role) on blu-ray--cool.

You can actually see HD clips of the 70mm widescreen version of "Big Trail" in part one of the "Duke at Fox" documentary on "The Comancheros" blu-ray. The snippets shown look, surprisingly, good.

Wonder if they'll include the 1.37:1 35mm version that was shot along side?
Old 03-02-2012, 01:04 PM

I don't even have "The Barbarian and the Geisha" on DVD, sweet! Anything from the Duke on bluray is a great day!
Old 03-02-2012, 01:09 PM

Ranking as one of the worst big-budget movies ever made, especially in the film canons of both Huston and Wayne. Can't wait to rewatch it!

'The Big Trail' is actually a good western, however, and definitely worth owning.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 03-02-2012, 01:53 PM

I'm excited by this!

I have the remastered DVD of The Big Trail that was recently done, but look forward to this on Blu.

But, what really excites me is The Barbarian and The Geisha, which has only been available as a sketchy import DVD or VHS. Not one of my favorite films, but definitely a rare film that has never been widely available.

I'd like to see some of the rarer films come to Blu-Ray along with a popular film. Maybe Circus World (another decent rare film) will finally get remastered and released?

I'd love to see The Quiet Man and The Alamo on Blu.