'Transformers Prime: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-29-2012, 11:47 AM

Default 'Transformers Prime: Season One' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has just reviewed 'Transformers Prime: Season One.' He enjoyed this series much more than he expected. Unfortunately, this Blu-ray features problematic video. The audio almost makes up for the image problems, and the extras are pretty good, but overall, this is worth a look. If the video were better this would be a recommended Blu-ray
release.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6262..._prime_s1.html
Old 02-29-2012, 03:57 PM

I am shocked that you said when you returned to the original xmen cartoon you were disappointed. I still consider that the best cartoon series I've ever seen. Interesting developing storyline, heavily flawed characters and their development, and multiple series episodes so it's not as formulaic as most (almost all) cartoons. Not to mention that I LOVE wolverine, magneto and apocalypse in that series. I also MUCH prefer the phoenix storyline in that show to the way they did it in the movies.

I guess that's kind of a big tangeant, but the ridiculous animation style they chose for the characters in this Transformers series is so odd, I just don't get it. I find those kinds of choices extremely distracting to the show's contents. Your description of bumbling humans constantly getting themselves in danger (which would not exist except for their own actions) is a direct throwback to the original series. I suspect it's to engage a younger audience who imagines themselves trying to hang around the transformers and getting in the way.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post
I am shocked that you said when you returned to the original xmen cartoon you were disappointed. I still consider that the best cartoon series I've ever seen. Interesting developing storyline, heavily flawed characters and their development, and multiple series episodes so it's not as formulaic as most (almost all) cartoons. Not to mention that I LOVE wolverine, magneto and apocalypse in that series. I also MUCH prefer the phoenix storyline in that show to the way they did it in the movies.

I guess that's kind of a big tangeant, but the ridiculous animation style they chose for the characters in this Transformers series is so odd, I just don't get it. I find those kinds of choices extremely distracting to the show's contents. Your description of bumbling humans constantly getting themselves in danger (which would not exist except for their own actions) is a direct throwback to the original series. I suspect it's to engage a younger audience who imagines themselves trying to hang around the transformers and getting in the way.
I don't know. The old 'X-Men' cartoons are remembered better in my head as nostalgia. When I revisited them it was all silly one-liners. They're okay, but not as great as I remembered them being.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-29-2012, 05:40 PM

It's always surprising (and disappointing) when a new release gets such a poor PQ review.

A little glad that the show itself got a decent review though... I've never actually seen this one.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
I don't know. The old 'X-Men' cartoons are remembered better in my head as nostalgia. When I revisited them it was all silly one-liners. They're okay, but not as great as I remembered them being.
Same for me. When I checked it out via Netflix last year I was underwhelmed, Wolverine and Storm were especially bad. I do have to say, though, that Apocalypse still stood up pretty well. He's just awesome on that show.

The Spidey cartoon from fox hasn't aged much better.

All in all I'd prefer to watch X-Men Evolution or Spectacular Spiderman nowadays.
Old 02-29-2012, 09:05 PM

regarding the "limited edition" thing...its because only the blu-ray version includes the comic book and its likely only included with the first printing or something.

as for cartoons not aging well....its been my experience that NOTHING from the 80s has as far as cartoons are concerned but they are still enjoyable for the cheese. i remember when the G1 show first came to dvd, i had literally not seen the show since the late 80s outside of the movie and wow, it was so laughably bad....i actually had a good time laughing at it all and still do when i catch episodes on tv now and then. lol

as for this show, i love it and can't wait to buy it next week. just having the original Prime and Megatron back is a treat for the ears. granted Welker doesn't use the exact same voice but its still him and there are hints of the old voice when he gets real angry. lol oh and i don't get the "the kids suck" thing, everything people complain about them can be applied to Spike and his gang of family and friends from the G1 show and the 86 movie.

i imagine the picture issues won't bug me too much but its still sad there's anything wrong to begin with. usually any CGI on home video looks great even if its the most crappy animation in the world.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:56 AM

I totally forgot this show existed. I'll have to buy it if the price ever drops.
Old 03-01-2012, 03:06 PM

I actually just finished watching the OG series with my kids on DVD - it was really fun. I get that it's not great TV but I brought me back to my youth and I enjoyed as much if not more than my kids did.

As for this set, I was prolly going to pass but I may just end up grabbing it if I can get it on sale.