'Puss in Boots - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-27-2012, 03:18 PM

Default 'Puss in Boots - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Puss in Boots - 3D' has just been posted. Read our review to find out why this comes highly recommended.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6349/puss_boots_3d.html
Old 02-27-2012, 11:56 PM

Interesting - I haven't had any issues with cross talk yet - but I only got about 20 minutes into the movie so far.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:38 AM

What equipment are you using for 3D playback?
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-28-2012, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
What equipment are you using for 3D playback?
The screen is polorized - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

As for the player, I am using mostly my PC with an nVidia graphics card, but I am using the PS3 from time to time (the PC allows me to maintain lossless audio while playing 3D content, but the PS3 is just a heck of a lot easier and more convienant).

I have had issues with ghosting when using Total Media Theater 5, but the same movie will stop ghosting if I play it on the PS3. I also have much less issues if I tell the PC to output in SBS mode versus whatever is the native 3D mode.

The one or two places where I do have issues with crosstalk are usually on 3D gimicks where the object protrudes out of the screen, and really the only places I have had that issue is in a couple of IMAX movies, and its usually brief - maybe a second or two. So far, I have had zero crosstalk issues or ghosting issues (with the exception of if I use Total Media Theater) on animated movies.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:32 AM

I also didn't notice any crosstalk when watching it over the weekend. I'm using an LG 55" Passive set. I didn't think the 3D in this film was as strong as a lot of the other animated films (Kung Fu Panda & Tangled for example which both looked incredible). The video was good but nothing that really stood out in terms of 3D (except the one scene in the Litter Box with the closeup of the cat playing guitar)... there was good depth but nothing spectacular to make me want to watch it in 3D again vs standard.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
I also didn't notice any crosstalk when watching it over the weekend. I'm using an LG 55" Passive set. I didn't think the 3D in this film was as strong as a lot of the other animated films (Kung Fu Panda & Tangled for example which both looked incredible). The video was good but nothing that really stood out in terms of 3D (except the one scene in the Litter Box with the closeup of the cat playing guitar)... there was good depth but nothing spectacular to make me want to watch it in 3D again vs standard.
I am really thinking that the reason may be refresh rates. An active screen would have to refresh the screen twice as many times a second as a passive screen would. Remember the really early LCD displays from the 90s and early 2000s? In 2D mode, you would see ghosting and trailing. I think that may be the issues with active displays - the screen is not refreshing fast enough and its causing crosstalk and ghosting.

I think the reason why I am having issues with my PC with native 3D versus SBS is because I am still using HDMI 1.3 because its a long cable and haven't gotten around to replacing it.
Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duckydan View Post
Yeah...I have to agree. I saw this last Saturday night and although it had great detail, there were only a few scenes that offered pop and depth. As duck stated....it was good but not as good as others (Tangled and KFP2 are good examples). Still...I would see it again in 3D. It was enjoyable. I wish it was in 1:85 like the short was.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM

^^Yes, the short even seemed to have better 3D effect than the movie itself.

As for the crosstalk, it does pretty weird because I had quick a bit of crosstalk, especially in scenes with the moon in background -- like when Puss tells about his friendship with Humpty Dumpty to Kitty. And using a Panasonic Plasma. I'll be upgrading to the AE7000U fairly soon, so I'll be revisiting this movie again just to compare. I also want to buy the MonsterVision glasses since users are reporting they noticeably reduce crosstalk, but I can only find the kit available for sale and not the individual pairs. I need more than one pair for the family.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-29-2012, 09:07 AM

I don't understand why they made a standalone movie about this character. I found him to be the most boring and cliche character in Shrek, so I'm quite frankly shocked that this movie is getting good reviews.

I take that with a grain of salt though, because the average rating for animated flicks is always higher than others for some reason. Like the pretty colours distract the audience from realizing how mediocre the movie really is? Take a look at ratings of winnie the pooh for an example. I don't even need to see the movie to know those ratings are ludicrous.
Old 02-29-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post
I don't understand why they made a standalone movie about this character. I found him to be the most boring and cliche character in Shrek, so I'm quite frankly shocked that this movie is getting good reviews.

I take that with a grain of salt though, because the average rating for animated flicks is always higher than others for some reason. Like the pretty colours distract the audience from realizing how mediocre the movie really is? Take a look at ratings of winnie the pooh for an example. I don't even need to see the movie to know those ratings are ludicrous.
You just dished the ratings on not just one, but two movies you haven't seen? Sigh, you have issues!