'J. Edgar'- High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-23-2012, 12:33 PM

Default 'J. Edgar'- High-Def Digest Review

David just opened a file on 'J. Edgar.' You can take peek right here...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6379/j_edgar_combo.html
Old 02-23-2012, 01:48 PM

A very minor error in the review - DiCaprio was not nominated for an Oscar for this film.
Old 02-23-2012, 03:51 PM

Maybe David got it confused with the Golden Globe nomination he received.

Twitter: @AaronPeck
Old 02-23-2012, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paaron46 View Post
Maybe David got it confused with the Golden Globe nomination he received.
Yes, David did! (Thanks, Aaron!) And maybe it was a little bit of wishful thinking, too!

Thanks, hollerme, for pointing that out. I hate making silly errors like that!
Old 02-24-2012, 12:33 AM

This movie was not bad. It dragged on way too much, as it felt like it was 3 hours, but the story was interesting and Dicaprio did a nice job of acting like an asshole. The problem I had was the two girls in the theater that fel the need to snicker and make jokes every time Hoover and his boyfriend had love scenes with each other.
Old 02-27-2012, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
The problem I had was the two girls in the theater that felt the need to snicker and make jokes every time Hoover and his boyfriend had love scenes with each other.
This is exactly the reason I don't go to the movies anymore. Annoying/rude people who ruin the experience for others.

I'm usually a fan of the films Eastwood's directed but J. Edgar felt dull to me. I thought the make-up was caked on and cheesy and the plot focused too much on his relationship with Clyde Tolson. The movie seemed to bounce around a lot and could've used some more time examining J. Edgar establishing his bureau. Dicaprio as always gave a strong performance but the movie itself seemed to be lacking.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salanderfan View Post
This is exactly the reason I don't go to the movies anymore. Annoying/rude people who ruin the experience for others.
See, nothing will ever beat it on the big screen, no matter how amazing home theater technology is. They can never compete.

As for the girls, here is the worst part, we were the only 4 in the theater.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
This movie was not bad. It dragged on way too much, as it felt like it was 3 hours, but the story was interesting and Dicaprio did a nice job of acting like an asshole. The problem I had was the two girls in the theater that fel the need to snicker and make jokes every time Hoover and his boyfriend had love scenes with each other.
I just reviewed this somewhere else, but had to inquire on what love scenes are you talking about?
Old 02-28-2012, 10:03 PM

It was better than average, but not by much. Oliver Stone would have been a much better director to tackle this material.

I still know next to nothing about J. Edgar hoover. *shrugs*
Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 AM

Except that in the case of Stone, "knowing" would amount to rumour expressed as fact to make a political point.