'Johnny English Reborn' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM

Default 'Johnny English Reborn' - High-Def Digest Review

Ugh.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6313...sh_reborn.html
Old 02-23-2012, 12:25 AM

How does it compare to the first one? I loved that one.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:18 AM

I showed the trailer to all of my co-workers and we all had a ball. We were laughing like morons. It's also good to see Gillian Anderson still looking fine as fuck. Have mercy.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I enjoy the first one as a fun way to kill time, but this sequel just didn't work for me. Majority of the jokes are pretty lame, IMO.
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 02-23-2012, 02:18 PM

I enjoyed the first and found it genuinely funny, but this one is one of the only movies that has literally sent me to sleep. It's awful, and that (probably) includes the 20 minutes in the middle that I was snoring through.
Old 02-25-2012, 01:33 PM

had no clue Gillian Anderson was in this, thats cool....maybe it'll give it a try when it hits cable or netflix.
Old 03-09-2012, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Much better, imo. The first one had two big flaws for me. The first was that it was pretty fragmented, feeling a bit more like a series of sketches than a narrative. The second was that Johnny English was just too inept. He was Inspector Clueseau.

The second film is a bit more narrative, with a bit more of a development arc. You actually see relationships form and the plot rolls forward rather than hops. And you actually get circles being completed in the film. Things from the start have relevance later on. Whereas in the first film, the only self-reference in the plot that I can recall was the ginger man with the scar and the eyepatch at the end.

Secondly, they've toned down the complete stupidity of English and made him now more competent, but foolish, rather than the complete bumbling prat he was in the first. It's a balance that works much better. He's now almost plausible (almost) as a secret agent. Well at least you can accept it enough to enjoy the movie.

It's still a weird movie. Everywhere that Hollywood would have turned in a slickly polished scene change, you still get that feel that somewhere in the background John Cleese is announcing each relocation with "And now for something completely different".

I can totally see why the reviewer gave it 2 stars. The film is just odd enough that it throws off normal expectations. And yet - there is a considerable amount of good in it. It's like serving a mezze meal to people who have only ever eaten big plates of meat and veg. It's all very nice, but people just expect it to be something different.

It isn't though. It's an odd, but great film. Leastways I liked it. The line "And bring two spoons" still makes me chuckle at the complete nonsensical humour of it.