'Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Default 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level' - High-Def Digest Review

Josh has just reviewed 'Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Next Level.' The Next Generation series hits High-Definition, and it's eye opening! Find out why you may want to pick up this low priced sampler!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5954...ext_level.html
Old 02-21-2012, 09:21 PM

Commander, Engage!
Old 02-21-2012, 11:06 PM

If the price had been much higher than I paid, I probably would have passed on this "sampler", but since my purchase kind of sends the message that I really want the seasons put out on Blu-ray, I gladly bought a copy. I wish it was as simple to refresh the writing as it was to go back and improve the effects and give us the new "high-def" video, but I'll take it as I can, bad writing and all. Eventually the series did get better and as someone that is a bit of a completionist, I'll probably buy each season as soon as I can reasonably do so.
Old 02-22-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Watching these three episode back to back also clearly exposes the amusing arc that Riker would take. He starts as a svelte and clean-shaven young officer, takes on authoritative airs by growing a beard, and eventually settles into pudgy complacency as Picard's perennial "Number Two."
I think you mean "Number One". While Riker was second-in-command, Picard always refered to him as "Number One" as he was first in command after Picard.

I actually found "Encounter at Farpoint" to be much more grainy than "Inner Light", almost to the point of annoyance. I just assumed that they probably used cheap film-stock in the early seasons, because by the time it aired in SD, you couldn't see the grain anyways. This may be sacralidge, but I think I would have perfered some DNR, because the film-grain was never meant to be seen.

Yeah, I have seen the screenshots on the internet as well with frame-by-frame comparrisons. I find it stupid - quite frankly, televisions sets in homes in the 80s were notorious for over-scan issues. They might as well grab an old TV from a Goodwill and take a picture with a camera, and complain that the DVD captures show more than was originally meant to be seen. Sigh. Just shows that some people just cannot be pleased.

I honestly do not understand all the negative reviews on the audio I have seen. The remastered audio properly fills the sound-field while staying as true as possible to the source material. The sound of the warp engines are amazing. Music is crisp and has an incredible depth to it. The sound is well mixed. I just don't get what more people were expecting from the audio - this disc not only met, but surpassed my expectations.

Anyways, great review. The biggest thing I have been telling people is, if you REALLY like "Inner Light" and "Sins of the Father", you might as well pick up the sampler pack, as it may be years before you can get them in a boxed set. Its cheap enough that I am shocked to hear so-called "fans" are actually passing this up. Not only did I pick this up first day, but have rewatched it several times. Yeah, there is NO WAY I am going to go back to watching this in SD. I suffered through Voyager and am suffering through DS9 now in SD, but the early seasons of TNG are just a muddied mess compared to how great the Blu-Ray is. If you are a fan, don't even think about it, just buy this already. In fact, if you are truly a fan, you should have seen this way before this review was posted.
Old 02-22-2012, 06:58 AM

What took you so long to review this (it has been 3 weeks!).

My problem with getting the series sets on Blu-ray is Paramount's terrible habit of overpricing their boxsets. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire series, with seasons bought separately, is seen topping out at over $600. Prices will take forever to drop too, most likely. Even the 'Complete Series' pack would likely be a bit much >_>

I like TNG a lot and all, but please don't ask me to spend so much money on it. It's the reason I haven't gotten the Doctor Who seasons, and why I waited until Voyager's DVD set was on sale before getting it.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:21 AM

Quote:
This may be sacralidge, but I think I would have perfered some DNR, because the film-grain was never meant to be seen.
To say it with Vader´s words: "Noooooooooooooooooooooooohoooooooo!" ;-). It is good they did not use DNR :-).

NOTE: The German audio track on the discs is completely messed up and asynchronous on all episodes but worst on "Sins of the father". Probably not important for most Americans, but could be noted.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:51 AM

I think this blu-ray is a huge step-up from the DVD's. I bought this disc for curiosity sake since I know I won't be getting seasons 1 or 2. I may start with season 3 depending on the price. Not paying $100 per season. Hoping for a price point close to the ST:TOS blu-ray sets.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow of Death View Post
What took you so long to review this (it has been 3 weeks!).

My problem with getting the series sets on Blu-ray is Paramount's terrible habit of overpricing their boxsets. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire series, with seasons bought separately, is seen topping out at over $600. Prices will take forever to drop too, most likely. Even the 'Complete Series' pack would likely be a bit much >_>

I like TNG a lot and all, but please don't ask me to spend so much money on it. It's the reason I haven't gotten the Doctor Who seasons, and why I waited until Voyager's DVD set was on sale before getting it.
You actually bought that show?
Old 02-22-2012, 01:10 PM

I'm very happy with the sampler. You've gotta start with the pilot, but it's nice to skip ahead a bit and see how well the show will turn out.
Old 02-22-2012, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
I think you mean "Number One". While Riker was second-in-command, Picard always refered to him as "Number One" as he was first in command after Picard.
Fixed, thanks.