'Being John Malkovich' is coming May 15 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2012, 08:29 PM

Default 'Being John Malkovich' is coming May 15

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4554...malkovich.html
Old 02-21-2012, 04:03 PM

This is beyond awesome. Let's hope Criterion keeps running with the Charlie Kaufman ball.

"Hot lesbian witches! It's focking genius!"

Last edited by thaggas; 02-21-2012 at 04:04 PM. Reason: Adding film quote
Old 02-21-2012, 10:49 PM

umm..I'd just prefer a standard release. while it is a great movie, I'd rather not pay $20 extra for the name Criterion attached to it. Just the movie and few extras would be fine with me.. I had the HDDVD and the transfer really wasn't that great. Is this the same transfer?
Old 02-21-2012, 10:50 PM

I have mixed feelings about this. The HD-DVD release of this left a lot to be desired. That's where I first saw it. That being said, its really not that good of a movie (although I do know that some people think its genius, so I am not going to go off on all I didn't like about the movie). Just really surprised to hear its getting a Criterion release.
Old 02-22-2012, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
Just really surprised to hear its getting a Criterion release.
After The Rock and Armageddon, nothing surprises me anymore.
Old 03-02-2012, 08:45 PM

You're too kind. It really sucked. I never understood the ridiculous praise it got.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:29 PM

How is this surprising to go to Criterion? Regardless of your feelings on the film, it's exactly the type of stuff they generally go for. Arthouse/Avant Garde/Indie films that have a high concept, seems right up there with a majority of their releases to me.

That being said, it's also fucking awesome, too. So, there's that, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainArcher View Post
umm..I'd just prefer a standard release. while it is a great movie, I'd rather not pay $20 extra for the name Criterion attached to it. Just the movie and few extras would be fine with me.. I had the HDDVD and the transfer really wasn't that great. Is this the same transfer?
Very doubtful. Criterion usually goes through their own transfer regardless of whether there's another out there (Trafic, Godzilla, Che, etc.).
Old 03-02-2012, 09:40 PM

I'd take a Criterion over a standard release for just about any title.

The additional care they put into their transfers, extras, and packaging are worth the extra few bucks.

I'll end up picking this up when I can get it for around $20.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skycracksopen View Post
I'd take a Criterion over a standard release for just about any title.

The additional care they put into their transfers, extras, and packaging are worth the extra few bucks.

I'll end up picking this up when I can get it for around $20.
I agree overall. I'm not like a Criterion nut or anything, but they put together great packages most of the time with their releases. The price does keep me from buying as much of their stuff as I want, but I've rarely felt dissatisfied with the technical aspect of their releases.
Old 03-03-2012, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmen Sandiego View Post
I agree overall. I'm not like a Criterion nut or anything, but they put together great packages most of the time with their releases. The price does keep me from buying as much of their stuff as I want, but I've rarely felt dissatisfied with the technical aspect of their releases.
I am a Criterion nut. I have about 75 of their titles on blu ray. I'm just not a fan of this film. I will check out the reviews and if the supplements are really good I may bite, but at a very discounted price, but it won't be at the top of my list.