'Manhattan' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-16-2012, 03:46 PM

Default 'Manhattan' - High-Def Digest Review

Nate has reviewed Woody Allen's 'Manhattan.' This one is for the fans!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6208/manhattan_79.html
Old 02-16-2012, 05:43 PM

Maybe I'm not entirely objective as Manhattan is one of my all time favorite movies, but:

2 1/2 stars? Seriously?

Even if this was a silent movie, Gordon Willis' gorgeous cinematography alone should earn it 5 stars.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:04 PM

I won't even comment on your opinion of the movie, it's been so long since I've seen it and everyone is entitled to their thoughts. I did want to point out the "big joke" of no extra features. I'm sure you might already know this, but Allen purposely doesn't include any extras to his films so that they stand alone. Weird for today's day and age, but I understand the idea behind it.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:45 PM

That's crazy talk... 2.5 stars?! Possibly the greatest film of all time. And I agree with Bob X: amazing cinematography. And the last 5 minutes?! Amazing. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just a shame that Nate's is so wrong in this case.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:48 PM

No Hate - Just my take on the complexity of the characters and how true they ring. It really takes multiple viewings to appriciate completely, like another of my favorite films to be released soon: Chinatown.

Want to bet how that will be reviewed?
Old 02-16-2012, 08:41 PM

After reading the DVDBeaver.com review and owning Manhattan on BluRay, I'd have to disagree with the picture quality. I found it really nice and filmic. I've seen this projected in NYC on 35mm and it retains that feel. I would hate to see this without the grain, it wouldn't be "Manhattan".

As for the thoughts on the film, that's always subjective, but over time Manhattan has surpassed Annie Hall for me.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:51 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DestroVega View Post
I won't even comment on your opinion of the movie, it's been so long since I've seen it and everyone is entitled to their thoughts. I did want to point out the "big joke" of no extra features. I'm sure you might already know this, but Allen purposely doesn't include any extras to his films so that they stand alone. Weird for today's day and age, but I understand the idea behind it.
EXPECTING extras is laughable, agreed. fully aware on how the majoirty of Allen films have extras. that's why I was shocked that MIDNIGHT IN PARIS had a few.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:54 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazr View Post
No Hate - Just my take on the complexity of the characters and how true they ring. It really takes multiple viewings to appriciate completely, like another of my favorite films to be released soon: Chinatown.

Want to bet how that will be reviewed?
I know exactly how it will be reviewed: not by me. yes, that answer is cheating, but it's also 100% true.

I know most will disagree with me on this one. It's all good. With the years and years and YEARS of WA films, there's so many, i doubt many people's lists of their faves and least faves match up. saw an article yesterday (annie hall at #1, this at #2, match point at #3) that had MIP at like 37, and i wanted to **** kick the writer for putting ANYTHING ELSE 10 slots higher. ah well. views may vary, and there's NOTHING wrong with loving this film. and Bob X, agreed about the WONDERFUL cinematography. that's something i rarely mention in reviews, so you betcha i did here. VERY noticeable.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:59 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpiii View Post
Everyone is entitled to an opinion, it's just a shame that Nate's is so wrong in this case.
Disproving your own point in the same sentence you make it in. THAT isn't easy!

"everyone is entitled to their opinion...except that guy."

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluorbit View Post
As usual, this guy goes against just about every review out there by giving it 3 stars for PQ. That's almost as big a joke as his rating of the movie itself. Why in God's name would anyone listen to this clown?
This guy doesn't read other reviews, so as to not be tainted. This guy is a tough grade, and doesn't mislead people to think every damn disc is 4.5 to 5 quality like some people. So, naturally, this guy will have haters. This guy can manage. This guy doesn't know much about clowning, though. This guy can't juggle or fit into really small cars very well. Oh wait, this guy didn't get that that guy was making an insult. This guy now has a sad.
Old 02-17-2012, 12:26 AM

Seriously, did anyone read past the star rating anyway?