'Underworld: Awakening' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D are coming May 8 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Default 'Underworld: Awakening' Blu-ray and Blu-ray 3D are coming May 8

Underworld: Awakening
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6563...awakening.html

Underworld: Awakening - 3D
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6564...kening_3d.html

Underworld Collection (4 Films)
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6641...tion_2012.html

Last edited by Landy; 03-01-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:28 AM

Yo baby!!!! A guilty pleasure for this series.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:48 AM

I like the other 3, but never saw this one.

Is it worth a blind buy for fans of the series?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrochaos View Post
I like the other 3, but never saw this one.

Is it worth a blind buy for fans of the series?
Uh no. This movie is an insult to the others in the series, and I love the previous three movies. Here is my review I sent out to my friends and discussions about UA:

After getting back from Tucson today we went to see Underworld Awakening. Did you like the previous three movies? Did you hate Jonah Hex and Rise of Cobra? If your answer is yes, then do not watch this utter piece of shit!! The movie starts out with all vampires and Lycans being hunted, which probably makes sense since Alexander stated in Evolution that he always cleans up after them in order to keep them hidden from the rest of the world. Instead of actually touching upon this, and giving this a backstory, they just show you endless action and death of the two races without any rhyme or reason for it. Add on top that 5 minutes later the movie jumps into 12 years later and you have one giant pile of what the fuck? Scenes move by too quickly to even follow what is happening, and they are chock full of action to keep you distracted from the lack of a plot, even a simplistic plot would have helped, but instead, we get action action action action. There is only one moment of down time, but it is so brief that it was pointless. There is absolutely no character development, characters are either just there or dead before you even know what their point was. If anything, they could have at least spent time developing the villians of the movie, but they don't, so you don't give a flying crap who they are or when they die. Add on top that the visuals no longer hold the style that the previous movies, as the 3D cameras obviously cannot do an Underworld film. THe concept itself could have been interesting if they had actually made a story to go with it. Oh, and it leaves off on an very abrupt cliffhanger that makes you wonder why the movie was barely 90 minutes. The first movie was 135 minutes, the second was 104, the third was 93. This movie is like 89 minutes and it makes you wonder why not do a 2 hour movie instead? Overall, like I said, if you liked the other Underworld movies, this movie just pissed all over them to the point that it is an insult.
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 PM

Wow! I guess I'll make sure just to redbox it!
Old 03-05-2012, 12:38 PM

another box set? no way?!!!! lol

i bought the original one from a few years ago because it seemed they'd never do a Part 4 so i will of course just get the individual movie in this case. i liked it a lot but at the same time Dr Kain is right, its very short on story and is just action upon action. i think the first 20ish minutes are just straight action non stop. i personally enjoyed it and loved the action but yeah...considering the other 3, i am surprised this one was so light on everything else. of course i wont be surprised if we get some director's cut or something down the line if not on this first release.

i think if you like the others, especially the first 2 since its the return of Selene, then you'll totally enjoy it. of course thats just my lowly opinion. :P
Old 03-05-2012, 02:05 PM

Blind buying this one (3D version).
Old 03-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Wow! I didn't realize this one was so bad, I've not seen this one. Sounds kinda like the Highlander movie franchise ( not the TV show, that was awesome).
Old 03-05-2012, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Uh no. This movie is an insult to the others in the series, and I love the previous three movies. Here is my review I sent out to my friends and discussions about UA:

After getting back from Tucson today we went to see Underworld Awakening. Did you like the previous three movies? Did you hate Jonah Hex and Rise of Cobra? If your answer is yes, then do not watch this utter piece of shit!! The movie starts out with all vampires and Lycans being hunted, which probably makes sense since Alexander stated in Evolution that he always cleans up after them in order to keep them hidden from the rest of the world. Instead of actually touching upon this, and giving this a backstory, they just show you endless action and death of the two races without any rhyme or reason for it. Add on top that 5 minutes later the movie jumps into 12 years later and you have one giant pile of what the fuck? Scenes move by too quickly to even follow what is happening, and they are chock full of action to keep you distracted from the lack of a plot, even a simplistic plot would have helped, but instead, we get action action action action. There is only one moment of down time, but it is so brief that it was pointless. There is absolutely no character development, characters are either just there or dead before you even know what their point was. If anything, they could have at least spent time developing the villians of the movie, but they don't, so you don't give a flying crap who they are or when they die. Add on top that the visuals no longer hold the style that the previous movies, as the 3D cameras obviously cannot do an Underworld film. THe concept itself could have been interesting if they had actually made a story to go with it. Oh, and it leaves off on an very abrupt cliffhanger that makes you wonder why the movie was barely 90 minutes. The first movie was 135 minutes, the second was 104, the third was 93. This movie is like 89 minutes and it makes you wonder why not do a 2 hour movie instead? Overall, like I said, if you liked the other Underworld movies, this movie just pissed all over them to the point that it is an insult.
Which is why I LOVED Rise of the Lycans, not much action compare with the other two and the plot was decent I thought.

I had a bad feeling they would do exactly something like this, like many franchises do. This will be a rent, since I own the 3 box set of the others. If it's good enough maybe I'll buy on discount. But this will be a rent first.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:10 PM

Yep, it seems Sony continues to milk this franchise until the very last drop. Yet another boxset -- makes it the 3RD one now, right? -- though whatever became of the "Endless War" anime from the previous collection? Just as well, it was a freebie and a bad one at that. The cliffhanger (thanks for the synopsis, Dr Kain) suggests another movie in the works, so it doesn't make sense (to me) to buy into this boxset unless you've been living under a rock the last 5 years.

I already have the first 3 movies, so will most likely blind buy this one if nothing else, than for more screen time with Beckinsdale.