'Jack and Jill (Combo Pack)' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-14-2012, 03:12 PM

Default 'Jack and Jill (Combo Pack)' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has just reviewed George Simmons' latest. Find out why 'Jack and Jill' is one to avoid at all costs.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6392...ill_combo.html
Old 02-14-2012, 03:30 PM

I've hated Adam Sandler for a very long time now. I do not recall a movie of his where he did not annoy the hell out of me. This one was bound to be a train wreck from the get-go.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:21 PM

0 stars for the movie itself? daaaamn, don't think i've ever seen that.....anywhere. lol
Old 02-14-2012, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
0 stars for the movie itself? daaaamn, don't think i've ever seen that.....anywhere. lol
It's rare, but we have a few. Under 10 I believe.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:25 PM

"Funny People" bombed. Didn't even make back its (bloated) $75 mil budget. Not even with foreign ticket sales added in.

I always found the George Simmons parallel is so damn interesting. In the movie, yeah, it's strangely honest and reflective of Sandler's career. But it's especially interesting in light of what happened to Sandler post "Funny People".

He's made, unquestionably, his worst movies in the aftermath of the staggering underperformance of one of his "best" (yeah, I like FP. Whatever.)

And I think the poor reception sent a clear message to Sandler, the businessman, and Sandler the people pleasing actor. The message: most people don't like serious (or even semi-serious) Sandler. People like--(not really) sorry if this offends--retarded Sandler. Critics are usually split on "serious" Sandler. But mainstream audiences clearly don't want to see him.

Compare:
  • "Reign Over Me": $21 mil US BO ($20 mil. budget)
  • "Punch Drunk Love" $25m US BO ($25m budget).
  • "Spanglish" (which isn't even serious, just Sandler playing the straight man) $42m ($80 million budget)
with:
  • "I Know Pronounce You Chuck and Larry" $118 mil BO ($85 mil budget)
  • "Don't Mess with the Zohan" $100m US BO + $99 m foreign BO = $199m ($80m budget)
  • "Bedtime Stories" $110m US + $102 foreign = $212m ($80m budget)
  • "Grown Ups" $162m ($80m budget)
  • "Just Go with it" 103m US BO + $111m foreign BO = $214 million ($80 mil budget)

Add in the success of the stupid stuff he's produced--like "Paul Blart" ($180+ mil worldwide off of a paltry $26 mil budget)--and he has little reason to not give the public what they so clearly want.

That's not to say that I excuse Sandler for the choices he's made post-"Funny People". He should have have stopped making movies like yesterday and he most definitely needs to go away.

But there's no real mystery as to why his movies have just progressively gotten worse and worse. People pay to see them even if (or especially when) they're bad. Not so much when he tries something different, and, usually, good.

A shame really as I like serious Sandler so much more than the other retarded guy.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:30 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landy View Post
It's rare, but we have a few. Under 10 I believe.
ONE of them has 0 star ratings for movie, video, AND audio...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/4434/birdemic.html

ahem. guaranteed to be the lowest scoring disc on this site. if any other disc EVER scores 3 0's and has NO extras, then we have a new winner, but i don't see that happening.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:15 AM

At long last, a Luke review I agree with! I got dragged along to see this in theaters, and it truly is that bad. Man, what a waste of Sandler's talent.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:01 PM

Yeah I still can't believe he made this movie. I saw the trailer for it shortly after seeing Funny People, my exact thought "didn't he just make fun of this kind of thing?" How the mighty hath fallen.
Old 02-15-2012, 12:06 PM

This movie was actually a "reward" on 'Survivor.' I feel so sorry for all those castaways that had to endure it since watching the pot of rice coming to a boil at camp would have been far more entertaining.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:51 PM

Crap like this gets rushed out quickly enroute to the Dollar Bin, yet we still can't buy The Sting on Blu-ray?