Are the Star Trek BDs ever going to drop in price?? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-13-2012, 07:09 PM

Default Are the Star Trek BDs ever going to drop in price??

I keep watching the listings for these movies, but they never seem to go on sale. The Original Movie collection is always around $55-60 and the Next Generation is aways around $40, while the tv seasons are priced at least $80. When are they going to have a price drop? Some of them have been out for almost 3 years now. I'm not going to touch the tv seasons until they are $30-40 and the movies have to be $30 for the original and $15-20 for the Next Gen.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:23 PM

They're never going to drop in price. You're screwed.

But seriously: I don't think you'll ever see the boxes drop to the prices you want. Not new. Used, or on black friday, maybe. But, no. You're holding out for prices that'll never realistically happen.
Old 02-13-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
They're never going to drop in price. You're screwed.

But seriously: I don't think you'll ever see the boxes drop to the prices you want. Not new. Used, or on black friday, maybe. But, no. You're holding out for prices that'll never realistically happen.
Sorry, I should worded those differently. Those prices would be what I would buy them for in an instant. Hell, I would even be willing to buy the original movies for $40, but $60 is way too much for 6 movies from the 70s and 80s, especially when only 3 of the 6 are supposed to any good. And the Next Gen set is too much when only 1 of the 4 movies are supposed to be good. As for the tv seasons, $40 is perfect. There is no reason a show from the 60s should be any higher than that. Unless I am mistaken and each season contains 60 or so episodes, as no tv episode is worth more than $1-2 a piece.
Old 02-13-2012, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
I keep watching the listings for these movies, but they never seem to go on sale. The Original Movie collection is always around $55-60 and the Next Generation is aways around $40, while the tv seasons are priced at least $80. When are they going to have a price drop? Some of them have been out for almost 3 years now. I'm not going to touch the tv seasons until they are $30-40 and the movies have to be $30 for the original and $15-20 for the Next Gen.
You need to follow the trends. Put them in your Amazon wishlist and check occasionally for the price.

Let's look at the historical trend:
For the Originals:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Star-Trek...uct/B001TH16DI

The lowest price was 39.99 and it looks like that was on Black Friday.

Looks like in Jan it was around $50. It may drop to 39.99 but unlikely. You're getting 6 movies in here so about $10 a piece is worth it, IMO even for #3 and #5 LOL - WHAT DOES GOD NEED WITH A STARSHIP!?

Generations:
http://camelcamelcamel.com/Star-Trek...uct/B002I9Z8GW

Lowest price was $29.49. I think if you can get these lower than $30 it may be a buy. Even at $34.99 it's OK, the problem is Nemesis is utter SH*T and Generations is not that good either. I'm a huge ST fan but I don't even own this set of any of these movies. If anything, I'd want to own First Contact.

Just can an eye, they should go on sale every now and then.
Old 02-14-2012, 05:33 AM

I got my TOS movie collection very, very cheap by buying it at a pawn shop. Check out your local pawn shops and second hand type stores. There is local record shop that sells even new BDs cheaper than Amazon, which makes the used BDs an exceptionally good deal. You can also scout your nearest Best Buys for deals, especially if they are closing. Finally, you can look at imports. Both the Bourne Trilogy and the Alien box set were cheaper to import from Amazon.uk than to buy in the US.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiamat View Post
I got my TOS movie collection very, very cheap by buying it at a pawn shop. Check out your local pawn shops and second hand type stores. There is local record shop that sells even new BDs cheaper than Amazon, which makes the used BDs an exceptionally good deal. You can also scout your nearest Best Buys for deals, especially if they are closing. Finally, you can look at imports. Both the Bourne Trilogy and the Alien box set were cheaper to import from Amazon.uk than to buy in the US.
Yes, I got my Bourne collection frmo Amazon UK
Old 02-14-2012, 11:04 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Consider that the Movie Collections contain quite a few movies and no, you don't get a discount because your opinion says that certain ones aren't any good. Regarding the original seasons - They're not *just* fresh transfers, but they also offer an all new effects screen where they redid many of the effects. Rather than a ball on a string for a planet, they now have a more believable looking CG planet. They spent some time on this! Although I still have not bought them, I do plan on it. TOS wasn't my favorite, if I saw the BF deal I probably would have bought it : (