'Shakespeare in Love' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-10-2012, 01:29 PM

Default 'Shakespeare in Love' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has just reviewed the controversial Best Picture winner 'Shakespeare in Love.' He says this disc is highly recommended! Read on for all the details...

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3135...e-in-love.html
Old 02-11-2012, 01:32 AM

What a GREAT price!!!
Old 02-11-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Whore View Post
What a GREAT price!!!
I need to get it
Old 02-11-2012, 11:44 PM

The scripter also wrote Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead? Man, I couldn't make it through that play's script. It's horrible.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastx View Post
The scripter also wrote Rosencrantz & Guildenstern are dead? Man, I couldn't make it through that play's script. It's horrible.
Shut your dirty whore mouth. Tom Stoppard is a god. Even completely disregarding his plays, the man still wrote "Brazil" (with Gilliam and Charles McKeown), shepherded the adaptation of (the supremely underrated) "Empire of the Sun" for Steven Spielberg, and rewrote Jeffrey Boam's script for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (we have Stoppard to thank for most of the banter between Indy, Henry and Marcus).
Old 02-12-2012, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
Shut your dirty whore mouth. Tom Stoppard is a god. Even completely disregarding his plays, the man still wrote "Brazil" (with Gilliam and Charles McKeown), shepherded the adaptation of (the supremely underrated) "Empire of the Sun" for Steven Spielberg, and rewrote Jeffrey Boam's script for "Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade" (we have Stoppard to thank for most of the banter between Indy, Henry and Marcus).
Okay, but have you read the play I'm talking about? I'm a big Shakespeare enthusiast and the idea of a spinoff/retelling from a new perspective appealed to me (I also like Grendel, the alternate take on Beowulf, pretty well). But the play I refer to is just super stupid, pointless, and unnecessary. It might be a bit better in person, but there's only so much you can do with that material. Even my Shakespeare professor didn't think it was worthwhile.

As for this movie, it's alright. Might have to pick it up for 8 bucks...
Old 02-13-2012, 08:58 AM

Have to agree with the reviewer. Saving Private Ryan has infinite re-watchability, while I doubt I'd bother watching this one again. The most realistic, impactful war movie made to date (in my opinion) vs a period romcom? I found it a horrible insult to even consider this forgettable drivel by comparison.
Old 02-13-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pim69 View Post
Have to agree with the reviewer. Saving Private Ryan has infinite re-watchability, while I doubt I'd bother watching this one again. The most realistic, impactful war movie made to date (in my opinion) vs a period romcom? I found it a horrible insult to even consider this forgettable drivel by comparison.
Setting aside the historical context of war, I would never watch Saving Private Ryan over and over again. War depresses me, and I understand it's part of our life and the sacrifices made. Is Saving Private Ryan a superb movie? Absolutely. Would I watch it over and over? No flipping way. It's a personal choice.
Old 02-13-2012, 11:41 PM

The price dropped to $6 at Amazon, so I went ahead and ordered it. Even if I don't end up digging it after all these years, the GF surely will.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Darn, I bought this on Amazon, presale. It was price protected so when it dropped from $10 to $9 after the first day of release, I received a $1 refund. But in the following days the price dropped to $6!!! So, I overpaid.

This is probably the best price relative to the quality of the movie for a new bluray that I've ever seen.

I like this film more than Saving Private Ryan, btw. You have to be smart to enjoy SIL.

Another thing, I must be really really bad at judging picture quality because I thought the picture quality was subpar.