'.hack/Quantum OVA' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2012, 08:40 PM

Default '.hack/Quantum OVA' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has just reviewed '.hack/Quantum OVA.' He's pleasantly surprised! Check out his review for all this details.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6193/hack_quantum.html
Old 02-10-2012, 01:31 AM

.hack was also a series of PS2 episodic RPGs that were apparently really good.

As for the anime, never seen it either, but considering this review, I'll probably rent it somewhere.
Old 02-10-2012, 01:58 PM

WHat? A .hack anime that does not lead into a new game series?
Old 02-10-2012, 04:45 PM

.hack//SIGN was one of the first anime series I watched as an adult, and the original .hack 4 volume game series for the PS2 was some of the first games I had for the PS2. Both were excellent.

Some material has been better than others, but in general they are pretty good at putting together a good story.
Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 PM

I watched .hack//SIGN .hack//DUSK and .hack//LIMINALITY.
I enjoyed them all fairly well. Even though they are not incredibly groundbreaking the plot was interesting when it came out (just as WoW broke) and the soundtrack by Ali Project doesn't disappoint.

But if you are getting into anime and you would like to see some classics, if I may, here are some recommendations.

Best series:
- Berserk. Dark Fantasy, very adult. My favorite series of all time, just disregard the first episode which won't make much sense until you finish the series.
- Kenshin. Amazing series (skip the last season) but you have to start with the Tsuyoku-Hen (Samurai X) OAV, amazing production value, story and atmosphere. I cry every time.
- Gurren Lagann. May look like your standard fair but is so much more. You will laugh out loud in the beginning and be depressed for the rest of the series (trust me).
- Juuni Kokki (Twelve Kingdoms). One of my all time favorites, stars out like a typical whiny school girl transported in a weird world but by ep5 it takes off. Full of political intrigue and marvel in ancient China.
- Seikai no Senki (Crest/Banner of the Stars). If you like epic Sci-fi, this is based on a series of japanese novels. Great characterization.
- Record of Lodoss War - THE heroic fantasy classic. A Must.

Movies/OAV:
- Kenshin (Samurai X). Again this is THE OAV to watch. make sure you don't watch the second OAV series (Seisou-hen) until after you've seen the whole TV series.
- Akira. duh!
- JinRoh. You probably won't understand everything on first watch but you'll want to rewatch it away.
- Ghibli movies. Which for some reason won't break out in the US , Nausicaa, Laputa, Porco Rosso, Totoro, Monoke, Yamada.....
- Summer Wars. An amazing recent movie and a virtual world AI taking over, but in a very 'nowadays' realistic-ish way.

Voila. Just a few recommendations if you feel like it.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:06 AM
Banned

Anime and martial arts films.......wagons I just can't jump onto.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
I watched .hack//SIGN .hack//DUSK and .hack//LIMINALITY.
I enjoyed them all fairly well. Even though they are not incredibly groundbreaking the plot was interesting when it came out (just as WoW broke) and the soundtrack by Ali Project doesn't disappoint.
.hack//SIGN and .hack//Liminality music was by Yuki Kajiura, although Ali Project might have had one song in there (like op or ed). She is my favorite composer for anime music.

Also from Yuki Kajiura and Bee Train: Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja
Old 02-17-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crashmstr View Post
.hack//SIGN and .hack//Liminality music was by Yuki Kajiura, although Ali Project might have had one song in there (like op or ed). She is my favorite composer for anime music.

Also from Yuki Kajiura and Bee Train: Noir, Madlax, and El Cazador de la Bruja
Don't Yuki Kajiura and ALI work together most of the time?
I first discovered them on Noir but them I started checking all anime that involved them
Old 02-18-2012, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post
Don't Yuki Kajiura and ALI work together most of the time?
I first discovered them on Noir but them I started checking all anime that involved them
Nope.

ALI Project did do the OP for Noir (where Yuki Kajiura did the rest), and Yuki Kajiura did the ED for .hack//ROOTS (and ALI Project did the rest of the music), but that is a rare case from what I know.

Yuki Kajiura has been in / associated with the groups See-Saw and Kalafina.
Old 02-18-2012, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by signia76 View Post
Anime and martial arts films.......wagons I just can't jump onto.
Why not? There are many different types of anime just as there are many different types of movies. If you want a futuristic story about bounty hunters, check out Cowboy Bebop. If you like a thriller mystery with themes of science versus the supernatural, check out Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. If you like pirates and RPGs, check out One Piece. If you are a fan of the Count of Monte Cristo story, check out Gankutsuou. Do you like robots? You might like Gundam. Or how about a story about war and the nobility? Code Geass is your thing. Do you wish you could wipe out all of the criminals in the world? Do you like stories with the battle of the witts? Death Note is a must. Are you a fantasy fan? If so, Escaflowne is for you. Do you like over the top comedies that parody everything? Excel Saga can give you that. Are you a mafia movie person? Baccano! has your number on it? Or are you more of a Blade Runner fan with androids that may dream of electric sheep with the sophistication of A Catcher and the Rye? Well then definitely watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex.

Like I said, there is something for everyone.