'The Tuskegee Airmen' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM

Default 'The Tuskegee Airmen' - High-Def Digest Review

We've just reviewed 'The Tuskegee Airmen.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6024/t_airmen.html
Old 02-07-2012, 06:27 PM

Can't say I agree with the two-star rating for the film, but I am a fan and that's what the "For fans only" designation is for. I'd personally have it around 3.5 to 4.

I'd be curious to hear what Nate thought about Red Tails which I found massively disappointing.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM

I didn't care much for this movie. I'm a WW2 air war enthusiast; but I do not think this TV movie did the airmen justice. I also think the lack of a significant number if vintage aircraft was a big problem they could not overcome. It didn't suck. I just don't think the story had the impact it should have had. The new Red Tails film (which I have not seen) seems to be trying to rectify the aircraft situation with lots of CGI planes; but in the trailers I have seen the planes look like they are right out of a computer flightsim game.

I remember seeing a short documentary on the Tuskegee Airman back in the 90s, I think on the Military Channel back when it was the Wings channel. They had an excellent series on great air fighter groups throughout history called Birds of a Feather. One episode was on the Tuskegee Airmen. It combined vintage footage with interviews with some of the surviving airmen. It was IMO far more inspiring than the HBO movie.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Former Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerGuy View Post
Can't say I agree with the two-star rating for the film, but I am a fan and that's what the "For fans only" designation is for. I'd personally have it around 3.5 to 4.

I'd be curious to hear what Nate thought about Red Tails which I found massively disappointing.
I'm very much looking forward to Red Tails, no matter what anyone says about it. But yeah, for fans only means i may piss off fans. but the quality of the disc factored in as well. great freaking price, mediocre result.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by project-blu View Post
I'm very much looking forward to Red Tails, no matter what anyone says about it. But yeah, for fans only means i may piss off fans. but the quality of the disc factored in as well. great freaking price, mediocre result.
Well, let's hope you get the review when it comes out
Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
Former Member

my fingers are crossed, but you never know, some staffer may be dying to do it!