'The Big Year' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2012, 03:07 PM

Default 'The Big Year' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'The Big Year' has just been posted. Can a movie about competitive birding be enjoyable?

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6281/big_year.html
Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 PM

Default Has the reviewer seen the movie?

I'm not sure the reviewer has actually seen the movie. I saw it once and although I also had problems with it I still remember that the guy was not 40 years old but 36. Also the champion's wife was not pregnant but just the opposite: she wanted to get pregnant. And the third guy wasn't retired either. These are not vaguely explained details but things the movie makes sure you would notice.
Otherwise I found that the movie indeed fell flat. I enjoyed all the interesting facts about birds and I thought they were really fascinating, but the movie itself lacked a real conflict and catharsis. It's based on a book of the same name that tells a true story about birders. It's indeed not a crowd-pleaser material but more of a niche.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:03 AM

I guess I'm in the minority on this one, because I found it to be very entertaining and informative. I knew nothing about the past time of "birding" before I saw this film, and it actually taught me a few things about different types of birds, and the insanity/huge waste of money that goes into these people traveling around the world to find different species of birds.

I also enjoyed the dynamics between Steve Martin, Jack Black, and Owen Wilson. There was a nice mixture of dramatic tension and sly comedic moments between the three of them.

This isn't a perfect movie, but it did entertain me. It falls into the 3.5 range for me.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagvoba View Post
I'm not sure the reviewer has actually seen the movie.
Oh, I saw it. I've had to sit through this thing twice now.

As for the pregnancy thing, my wife made the same complaint against me. Truthfully, I decided to keep it short by calling her pregnant since she goes in for the procedure halfway through the movie. I thought she had it done, but my wife thinks she didn't. It's not made very clear. I guess you have to read the book to know for sure.