'Poirot: Season 1' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-05-2012, 03:00 PM

Default 'Poirot: Season 1' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Poirot: Season 1' has just been posted!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6124...t_series1.html
Old 02-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Good review. The Suchet Poirot is one of the great TV series' of all time. I have all of the episodes on DVD already. The Blus are gonna have to come down in price before I upgrade.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:13 AM

I always liked Peter Ustinov as Poirot, and found Suchet very dry in comparison when I first started watching them. But as the series went on, I quite warmed to him in the part. He does have little amusing quirks and moments, that make it fun to watch the character. Much better than Miss Marple, I think. She was always dull and lifeless and pedestrian in comparison to Poirot.
Old 02-06-2012, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thulsadoom View Post
I always liked Peter Ustinov as Poirot, and found Suchet very dry in comparison when I first started watching them. But as the series went on, I quite warmed to him in the part. He does have little amusing quirks and moments, that make it fun to watch the character. Much better than Miss Marple, I think. She was always dull and lifeless and pedestrian in comparison to Poirot.
Ustinov is one of my favorite actors; but I found him miscast as Poirot. Ustinov seemed sort of rumpled and unkempt and too easy-going in the role. Poirot should be extraordinarily fastidious and almost OCD in the way he orders his life. However, I did enjoy Death on the Nile with Ustinov in spite of my misgivings.

I'm not an Agatha Christie nut (my wife is), but I've read maybe 4 or 5 Poirot books and one Miss Jane Marple. I agree that Miss Marple is very low-key compared to Poirot.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:07 AM

I've bought this and it arrived today so I'm looking forwards to seeing what the difference is. I already have every Poirot episode including the most recent US Blu-Rays of the recent episodes. It's unfortunate but I bet these don't get released in the UK....ahh well, the joys of a multi-zone player
Old 02-07-2012, 04:18 PM

It's quite disturbing that something as qunitessential English as Poirot (despie the fact he is a Belgian detective) should be getting its blu-ray release in the states while we here in Englandland have only dusty old dvds from years ago