'Beowulf & Grendel' -- pre-release buzz - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-18-2007, 05:38 PM
PeterB

Default 'Beowulf & Grendel' -- pre-release buzz

Starz has added another one to their fall Blu-ray line-up:

http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/beowulfandgrendel.html

It's due November 6, and will include 1080p video and PCM 5.1 audio. No specs yet. though the DVD was loaded so hopefully all those extras will make it over to the Blu-ray.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:39 PM

Thanks.I really enjoyed this movie.
Old 07-19-2007, 03:37 AM

I guess Beowulf is the thing to make these days. Christopher Lambert was in a Beowulf movie a few years ago, there's this Beowulf, and now Robert Zemekis is making an adaptation of Beowulf.

I missed this one. Isn't this a foreign flick from Iceland? I don't think we ever saw it released stateside.

Btw, a little nitpicky, but the "coming soon" page says it stars Gerald Butler. It's Gerard Butler. It's funny, before 300, no one really knew who he was even though he's been in many flicks, e.g. Tomb Raider 2 and Phantom of the Opera.
Old 07-19-2007, 08:52 AM

There was just a Horrible Sci-fi channel version of Beowulf too! Then, there is also the 13th Warrior. I wonder about the new animated version. Could be cool, but I doubt it.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadisterotica View Post
There was just a Horrible Sci-fi channel version of Beowulf too! Then, there is also the 13th Warrior. I wonder about the new animated version. Could be cool, but I doubt it.
lol. I embarassingly enjoyed The 13th Warrior, but Michael Crichton didn't so much adapt it as it was a blatent rip-off of Beowulf.
Old 07-19-2007, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post
I guess Beowulf is the thing to make these days. Christopher Lambert was in a Beowulf movie a few years ago, there's this Beowulf, and now Robert Zemekis is making an adaptation of Beowulf.

I missed this one. Isn't this a foreign flick from Iceland? I don't think we ever saw it released stateside.

Btw, a little nitpicky, but the "coming soon" page says it stars Gerald Butler. It's Gerard Butler. It's funny, before 300, no one really knew who he was even though he's been in many flicks, e.g. Tomb Raider 2 and Phantom of the Opera.
Yeah i picked this up to rent a little while back on SD this being my genre of choice, and Gerard Butler being in it, I was really disappointed by this one,Much prefer 13th warrior or The Lambert Beowulf over this one.And you are correct it was an Icelandic production,great locations,costumes and actors,but it just didn't "pop" for me like i hoped it would..
Tristan & Isolde is another i would recommend from this genre that had some great production value (being a Scott free production)
Old 07-19-2007, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LembasBread View Post

Let's not forget Gerard in Richard Donner's Timeline too!
Old 07-19-2007, 02:14 PM

Pass on this one. Man...could we possibly see some more ''familar'' films being released in hi def. I mean, guys like Lucas, Jackson, and Spielberg are holding off releasing their big films in hi def until there is a format winner. Dont you think that if they would release some bigger name films for hi def that MAYBE we would have a format winner already??? Sorry everybody....I am expecting annoncements from bigger movies than this for the fall and I am getting a little tired of all these ''not as popular'' or ''cult following'' movies.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:08 PM

Default "The 13th warrior" and "Eaters of the Dead"

Crichton had an interesting, possibly scientific, take on "Beowulf" with his novella "Eaters of the Dead". I thought "The 13th Warrior" was a decent filmable version of that concept.
Old 11-21-2007, 11:11 PM

There is a documentary about Beowulf and Grendel
called Wrath of Gods. It like B&G is loaded with
breath taking Iceland.... what a back drop...
This documentary is fantastic.. it gives the
first had story of what the crew and cast went through
to make the movie. It is really good.. it has won
alot of awards at the festivals this year. Can't help
but look at beowulf and Grendel differently after seeing it...