'Lady and the Tramp: Diamond Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-02-2012, 07:36 PM

Default 'Lady and the Tramp: Diamond Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Michael Palmer has just reviewed 'Lady and the Tramp: Diamond Edition.' Read his review to find out what makes this a must own Blu-ray!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3293...dthetramp.html
Old 02-02-2012, 07:49 PM

So this doesn't include the restored Academy Ratio does it?

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
In terms of fidelity, these recordings will always be someone limited, but I've never heard this movie sound as good.
SOMEONE?

Hey, can you explain what this 3.0 mix is. I don't think I have ever heard of one of those.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
So this doesn't include the restored Academy Ratio does it?
That's something I was hoping for, too. It seems like it would be simple enough to include both theatrical versions.

One nitpick for the actual review... I believe Disney missed the Victorian era by almost a year. His early childhood would have technically been during the Edwardian era, but seeing as he was raised in the USA it seems unusual to even mention a British era.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM

Have it on pre-order. Can't wait!
Old 02-03-2012, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravis778 View Post
SOMEONE?

Hey, can you explain what this 3.0 mix is. I don't think I have ever heard of one of those.
CinemaScope, and its accompanying 3-channel magnetic sound, basically came about as a way to combat television.

Before 1953, nearly all films where shot in 1.37:1 (4x3) "Academy Ratio" and released with mono sound (there were exceptions to both, of course; a few films at Fox in the early 1930s were shot in an emerging 70mm widescreen process called Grandeur and Disney's own "Fantasia" was released with Fantasound, the first commercial use of stereo, in 1940).

But, by the 1950s TVs became popular and, due to technical similarities, were seen as a direct competitor to theatrical releases. So the "experiments" (widescreen and stereo) needed to become the norm. This was mostly because, although shown on a smaller screen with much smaller speakers, TV was also shot and shown in a similar square shape (1.33:1) and had single-channel sound. Color was the one thing that movies had over TV. (Technically, color TV first appeared in 1954, shortly after CinemaScope appeared in theaters, but only on one channel (NBC) broadcast anything in color and the sets were expensive.) But color wasn't enough, especially because most films were still B&W (something that started to slowly change in the 1950s, parallel to CinemaScope/widescreen).

Widescreen was huge--literally--but to further differentiate films from TV, movies photographed and exhibited in the new format also added 2 additional sound channels in most releases (creating the 3.0--left, center, right--seen on "Lady and the Tramp"). Later films would even add a 4th, effects channel, for early surround sound.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super-VHS View Post
CinemaScope, and its accompanying 3-channel magnetic sound, basically came about as a way to combat television.

Before 1953, nearly all films where shot in 1.37:1 (4x3) "Academy Ratio" and released with mono sound (there were exceptions to both, of course; a few films at Fox in the early 1930s were shot in an emerging 70mm widescreen process called Grandeur and Disney's own "Fantasia" was released with Fantasound, the first commercial use of stereo, in 1940).

But, by the 1950s TVs became popular and, due to technical similarities, were seen as a direct competitor to theatrical releases. So the "experiments" (widescreen and stereo) needed to become the norm. This was mostly because, although shown on a smaller screen with much smaller speakers, TV was also shot and shown in a similar square shape (1.33:1) and had single-channel sound. Color was the one thing that movies had over TV. (Technically, color TV first appeared in 1954, shortly after CinemaScope appeared in theaters, but only on one channel (NBC) broadcast anything in color and the sets were expensive.) But color wasn't enough, especially because most films were still B&W (something that started to slowly change in the 1950s, parallel to CinemaScope/widescreen).

Widescreen was huge--literally--but to further differentiate films from TV, movies photographed and exhibited in the new format also added 2 additional sound channels in most releases (creating the 3.0--left, center, right--seen on "Lady and the Tramp"). Later films would even add a 4th, effects channel, for early surround sound.
Thanks for the explination. I was thinking 3.0 was probably left, center, and right, but I had never heard of it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:26 AM

All the sources i have read including articles from 20th Century Fox say that in fact the standard for stereo sound for CinemaScope is for four-channel magetic stereo sound.
Three channels are used behind the screen for left, center and right channels for the front stereo image and a furth channel provides surround sound not unlike Dolby Pro-Logic Sound.
My copy of the movie is being shipped from Disney and it will be interesting to see how they mixed four channels into three.
If they mixed the center channel into the front left and right stereo channels properly and used the third channel for monaural sound that would be acceptable but if they didn't include a surround channel that would not be faithful to the original sound format.
If that is the case you could get a close approximation to the original sound using the Dolby Pro-Logic II surround mode or DTS Neo 6 surround mode if you have an AV receiver with either of those surround options.
My guess is though that the 7.1 audio is probably very close to what you would have heard in a first run movie theater in 1955
Old 02-08-2012, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the coupon (help) HDD!
Looks beautiful.

[somewhat weird lines on the wife's dress when she 1st appears/have too check it out again]
Old 03-27-2012, 03:31 AM

Well audio purists; Disney got it wrong with Lady and the Tramp.
They aer trying to pass off a three-channel stereo recording as the original soundtrack.
Sorry; but they are missing a channel.
Cinemascop specidifcations called for four channels; left, center and right behind thei screen and the forth channel as a surround channel for side and back wall speakers. Four discrete magnetinc channels were used insted of matrixing the channels in to the front stereo channels as Dolby Pro-Logic does; but the effect is about the same.
I have the blu-ray and the best options is to choose the 7.1 sound option since it weens closer to what you would have heard in a first run movie theater in 1955.
Mickey Mouse certianly has his place in the Disney organization; but keep him out of the team responsible for audio engineering.