Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jed
    jed is offline HDD Founder

Default 'Hairspray' - Pre-release buzz

New Line has confirmed to High-Def Digest that the distributor is planning to launch its Blu-ray and HD DVD support with the release of 'Hairspray.' Based on the current theatrical-to-video window of roughly three-to-four months, a fourth quarter 2007 time frame seems likely.

Full story:
    http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/778

D3lta is offline Formerly Delta_FX

Not exactly the first movie I was expecting from them... but at least we know they support both formats and are finally in the High-Def 'war'.

PeterB Guest

I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg. I'd imagine we'll get a few catalog titles as well... probably 'Se7en' and something like that. Though I'm sure we won't see some of their big ones ('Lord of the Rings,' etc.) for a while yet.

But I'm just speculating...

taygan315 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by PeterB View Post
    I'm sure this is only the tip of the iceberg. I'd imagine we'll get a few catalog titles as well... probably 'Se7en' and something like that. Though I'm sure we won't see some of their big ones ('Lord of the Rings,' etc.) for a while yet.

But I'm just speculating...
    I would love to see Se7en in hi def. Classic ending. Probably one of the best endings to a movie I have ever seen. Totally took me off guard. They can keep Hairspray. Travolta in drag in 1080p?? PAAAAAASSSSSS!!!!
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

LembasBread is offline Member

So New Line is entering the high-def arena just like Dreamworks did with Dreamgirls - with a musical, interesting . Let's just hope they don't do the same thing with the audio on Hairspray as Dreamworks did with Dreamgirls and include only lossy Dolby Digital.
    "I think mine would look better if it was in Dubly" - Nigel Tufnel

"The PCM 5.1 mix is clearly superior -- it could bitch-slap the Dolby with one hand tied behind its back." - Peter M. Bracke

"I know what the final product should look like - Blu Ray suits my films better," - Michael Bay, director/producer

bdfan is offline Member

This might actually turn out to be a great release. It will probably have vibrant colors and a great audio soundtrack! Hopefully, it will sell well so that will bring out New Line cataloge titles!!

ckelly79 is offline Member

It's about time New Line started releasing movies, but this isn't the one I've been waiting for. Question though, is this the new one coming out or the old one from 1988?

tru2blu is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by ckelly79 View Post
    It's about time New Line started releasing movies, but this isn't the one I've been waiting for. Question though, is this the new one coming out or the old one from 1988?
    I think you find it's the new one.

And I also agree that we won't see LOR for a while.

Glad to see New Line releases, and at least they're neutral. Let the consumer decide...

dvddesign is offline Member

Hairspray was decent enough, but I want catalog titles. And not just Rush Hour or Austin Powers.

This is the "House that Freddy Built", you know...

Howzabout that and some live action TMNT?
    Anticipated BluRays: Lost in Translation, Back to the Future, The Blues Brothers
    Last purchase: The Princess and the Frog

taygan315 is offline Member

My litle girl's birthday party is Friday. She is having it at the Regal theater where her and her friends are going to see Hairspray. Like it or not...I have to go see this. Maybe I can sneek in a coupkle of zzzzz when no one is noticing. Love my daughter but I am not looking forward to seeing this. HEEEEELLLLLPPPPP MMMMMEEEEEE!!!!
    My mancave:

Display - Sony Bravia 3D 55HX800, Epson 3D 3020 (124")
    Players - Sony BDP-S570, Sony BDP-S590, Sony PS3 320GB
    Computer - Mac 27" i5 1 terabyte hdd (1 terabyte back up hdd), MacBook Pro 17" i5 750GB

Portable Devices - iPad (4th gen A6 64GB), iPod Touch (5th gen A5 32GB)

"When your winning, fight like your losing"

ryoohki360 is offline Member

Well , we all know that this film is gonna win of kind of Oscar next year, every single time there's a Musical it win something..

ericede is offline Member

So this means Hairspray is going to support Blu-Ray Profile 1.1? This is one of the first announced Blu-Rays with a PiP special feature. With Fox announcing Java support on its titles it looks like a firmware revision is on the horizon.

I knew the lack of region coding might come back to haunt HD-DVD.
    Last edited by ericede; 09-11-2007 at 11:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ericede View Post
    I knew the lack of region coding might come back to haunt HD-DVD.
    I take a region-free format over region locked blu-ray any day - even if it means films are released late - but this does sound a real cop-out of an excuse.

MNTWISTER is offline Member

Awesome, so I can go and get one day and date with the national release...very cool New Line, I loved this movie, saw the stage musical 3 times. Glad to hear of the picture in picture extra, that should be great! Now let's hope, for a musical especially, that we get some form of lossless.

valmont74 is offline Member

... is a departure from Warner's policy of usually releasing its high-def titles on both formats simultaneously. Lasorsa blamed the delay to HD DVD's lack of region coding versus Blu-ray.
    And from what I can understand this may very well be region coded, despite parent company Warner's previous no-coding-policy.

I wonder if this means Warner also will start region coding, or at least, are considering it...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast