How to Rip Your Blu-ray Collection With Ease - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2012, 02:14 PM
HDD Contributor

Default How to Rip Your Blu-ray Collection With Ease

Lifehacker's guide provides a cross-platform Windows, OS X and Linux solution to getting your Blu-rays onto your computer.

http://lifehacker.com/5559007/the-ha...ray-collection
Old 01-05-2012, 07:10 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

I find it funny that a forum that does not condone "piracy" would post this. Although making yourself personal copies, whenever the subject comes up people always catch hell for bootlegging, even when it is for their own use.
Old 01-05-2012, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
I find it funny that a forum that does not condone "piracy" would post this. Although making yourself personal copies, whenever the subject comes up people always catch hell for bootlegging, even when it is for their own use.
Right, well he did say " getting your Blu-rays onto your computer. "

And let's face it, many of us on here PURCHASE many many blu rays.
Old 01-05-2012, 10:11 AM

For those who are new to ripping blu-rays, Cinavia is a new copy protection on Sony blu-rays (and possibly other studios) that mutes the audio for any ripped media files. It's pretty annoying, but there are ways around it. Do some research before selecting a device for playing media files.
Old 01-05-2012, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krawk View Post
You are absolutely 100% right. We do not condone "piracy" or allow anyone to discuss such illegal actions. Thankfully, ripping movies onto a hard drive for personal use at home is not illegal according to the U.S. Supreme Court and falls under the FAIR USE Act of 2007. In other words, it is acceptable to make copies of copyrighted material without the permission of its author, but with very limited restrictions.

Don't pirate!
Unfollow me at twitter: @MEnoisDuarte

Movies are so rarely great art that if we cannot appreciate great trash
we have very little reason to be interested in them.

~ Pauline Kael
Old 01-05-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
You are absolutely 100% right. We do not condone "piracy" or allow anyone to discuss such illegal actions. Thankfully, ripping movies onto a hard drive for personal use at home is not illegal according to the U.S. Supreme Court and falls under the FAIR USE Act of 2007. In other words, it is acceptable to make copies of copyrighted material without the permission of its author, but with very limited restrictions.

Don't pirate!
Cinavia prevents people from making fully functional digital copies for personal use that falls under fair use and from what I've read, there is no way to remove the DRM without messing up the audio. The government needs to pass another amendment to make this type of DRM illegal.
Old 01-05-2012, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
Cinavia prevents people from making fully functional digital copies for personal use that falls under fair use and from what I've read, there is no way to remove the DRM without messing up the audio. The government needs to pass another amendment to make this type of DRM illegal.
That will never happen IMO
Old 01-05-2012, 02:14 PM

I highly doubt it will happen, but it'd be interesting to see how the courts handle it if people sue over it.
Old 01-05-2012, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneManShow View Post
I highly doubt it will happen, but it'd be interesting to see how the courts handle it if people sue over it.
People don't have the money to sue these big labels. This is where Attorney Generals need to get together and do it. Like I said, I don't think it's gonna happen
Old 01-06-2012, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eNoize View Post
Thankfully, ripping movies onto a hard drive for personal use at home is not illegal according to the U.S. Supreme Court and falls under the FAIR USE Act of 2007. In other words, it is acceptable to make copies of copyrighted material without the permission of its author, but with very limited restrictions.
My understanding is that while what you're saying is true, any circumvention of copy protection measures IS illegal in the US, making it impossible to do what you're suggesting without breaking the law first.