'Margin Call' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-20-2011, 04:31 PM

Default 'Margin Call' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has just reviewed 'Margin Call.' Read his review to find out why a compressed video transfer makes turns a "recommended" title into a "rental."

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6115/margin_call.html
Old 12-20-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote from the review:

"Once the opening credits start rolling, if the gray supposed-to-be-black background makes you worried for the contrast and black levels of the entire film, know that this is a constant issue and that it takes a lot of high-def quality out of the entire movie experience."

I have not watched the entire disc but I see a black not grey background on the opening credits and a sampling of the disc looked quite good to me. I checked out using a Samsung 8000 series LED set and a Marantz VP-15 projector in another system. Both are calibrated for maximum black level while maintaining shadow detail. Certainly not a 2.5 to my eyes on these systems.. I will further check-out this disc. It appears that this film has a lot of interior content.

I note that the reviewer here also evaluated Warrior at 2.5.

Other reviewers do not seem so harsh on these two discs.

Luke, what type of video set-up are you using to evaluate these discs?

Normally my personal evaluation does not often vary from reviews on HiDef Digest but these two recent reviews appear to be exceptions....particularly on Warrior. I watch it but have only sampled Margin Call. I depend a lot on HiDef Digest reviews as I have followed Peters efforts from the start on DVDFile and then on HiDef Digest.

Last edited by Roger Mathus; 12-20-2011 at 08:30 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post

Luke, what type of video set-up are you using to evaluate these discs?

Normally my personal evaluation does not often vary from reviews on HiDef Digest but these two recent reviews appear to be exceptions....particularly on Warrior. I watch it but have only sampled Margin Call. I depend a lot on HiDef Digest reviews as I have followed Peters efforts from the start on DVDFile and then on HiDef Digest.
I've got a Samsung LN40C650 self-calibrated using Disney's WOW Blu-ray. I'd wondered if there was a set-up problem with system also, but popping in other proven discs shows that not to be the case. In fact, I'm reviewing a concert right now that features both of the problems that I noticed with Warrior and Margin Call, only it varies throughout the show, so have the utmost faith in my settings.

Pretty odd, right? There are a few other reviewing sites that I don't agree with from time to time, but hearing your opinion has me puzzled.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Luke, your Samsung model is a good monitor. Because you saw grey background in the opening titles, I wonder if your backlight setting is too high. If it is, that would also make grain more visible.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:24 AM

I don't like movies like this when you have to have a knowledge of the subject the film is talking about in order to understand the film. While watching this film, I had no idea what the characters were talking about. Everything just flew right over my head. Even the characters attempt to simplify their situation, it still doesn't work. I guess I'd make a bad accountant. 5/10