'Warrior' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-19-2011, 05:07 PM

Default 'Warrior' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Warrior.' He really enjoyed the movie, but he says this Blu-ray has an almost fatal video flaw. Read on for all the details.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6084/warrior.html
Old 12-19-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator

Loved this movie in the cinema. And to be honest, it looked like crap there too, so it seems, at least, the BD is accurate. Must have been 16mm.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:01 PM

Definitely one of my favorite movies of this year. Lots of great talent in this movie and it doesn't fail to deliver the fighting that drew people to watch it. I just wish I could get big like Tom Hardy.
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM

Day one buy. This video review contradicts all the other impressions I've read. /shrug
Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XL83 View Post
Day one buy. This video review contradicts all the other impressions I've read. /shrug
Pop it in. From the opening shot, you'll immediately notice exactly what I'm talking about. If it contradicts other reviews, it's only because I'll give it to you like it is ;-)
Old 12-20-2011, 03:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Hickman View Post
Pop it in. From the opening shot, you'll immediately notice exactly what I'm talking about. If it contradicts other reviews, it's only because I'll give it to you like it is ;-)
You're a good writer, but I haven't read enough reviews from you yet to know if I trust your eyes. A 2.5/5 is something that would keep me from buying some of my favorite movies and get me on a soapbox. Say American Beauty, looking the way it does.

This one looked grainy, gritty, handheld in the theatres, so I probably won't be too disappointed.
Old 12-20-2011, 10:24 AM

Default Review

For what it's worth, I watched the Blu last night and thought the video presentation was really good. It honours the theatrical presentation which did have a gritty indie feel.
Old 12-20-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canuck2 View Post
For what it's worth, I watched the Blu last night and thought the video presentation was really good. It honours the theatrical presentation which did have a gritty indie feel.
Was the noise not as annoying and distracting to you as it was to me?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:33 PM

I found the video very film like. Yes, there is some grain but it is better (IMHO) to not filter the grain at the expense of sharpness. The look and feel of the image on this disc fits the film. The noise observed was not at all annoying or distracting to me and I did not see it thru out the film. I watched on 8 ft screen using Marantz V-15 projector and OPPO-93 player.

Review at BluRay.com gives the image a 4.5. My personal evaluation is 4.0.

It is hard to understand Luke's low evaluation. A 2.5 makes it sound like it is un-watchable....I did not find this the case. I did not see this in the theater but my guess is that the Blu-Ray transfer is true to the intended image.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Mathus View Post
It is hard to understand Luke's low evaluation. A 2.5 makes it sound like it is un-watchable....I did not find this the case. I did not see this in the theater but my guess is that the Blu-Ray transfer is true to the intended image.
Honestly, the noise was so distracting to me that it really bothered me. Had it appeared as simple film grain (which I like), that would be one thing, but inconsistently popping up from shot to shot really did make this a borderline unwatchable experience for me - and I love this movie!