'The Simpsons: The Complete Fourteenth Season' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-14-2011, 09:05 PM

Default 'The Simpsons: The Complete Fourteenth Season' - High-Def Digest Review

Aaron has reviewed 'The Simpsons: The Complete Fourteenth Season.' Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5589/simpsons_s14.html
Old 12-15-2011, 12:10 PM

I understand the reviewer's frustration over the slow release schedule, but it's just how I like it. Thanks to this pacing, my wife and I can justify the purchases when they come out. We own every season released so far. Also, season 20 was released quickly but with basically no special features. It's clearly a matter of pride for the show runners that these discs have lots of bonus content, which takes time, and I deeply appreciate that.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:26 PM

Season 14 looks better than 13 likely due to the fact this is the season they started coloring with computers as opposed to painting the cels. every episode from this point on always looks great, even in reruns or on crummy channels. i imagine they must look even better on blu.

but i'm weird and anal so i keep getting the dvd versions and i'll start buying them on blu once they hit the HD years. i imagine Season 20 will likely get re-released (with the usual extras) when they reach it since it was just a quickie release to show off the HD and celebrate the 20th anniversary.
Old 12-15-2011, 01:27 PM

weird, my previous post repeats the word "computers" but when i go to edit, it looks fine. lol
Old 12-15-2011, 03:18 PM

The episode Large Marge was the last episode to be hand colored.
Old 12-16-2011, 04:06 PM

I agree with the reviewer that I've always enjoyed the Simpsons, and never really thought it had become less than it ever was... until the last couple of season maybe lol. Here lately the humor is.. how can I describe it? More whimsical? Things happen which barely relate to reality for laugh purposes, it's weird. Still it's the best comedy on TV, and still superior to all the other similar animated shows near it's timeslot.

I'm a lifelong Simpsons fan, the 1st episodes are in some on my earliest memories. To this day I actively hate football because it used to pre-empt The Simpsons when it ran long, as it usually did.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:54 AM

They need to start releasing the older seasons on BD inbetween the new seasons. I am sick of this slow pace.
Old 12-18-2011, 01:40 PM

I for one enjoy the 14th Season very much, although I agree the Simpsons had their heyday between seasons 4-8. 9 and ten were still very good but already showed wear and after season 10 the slow decline started to begin.

Still if I compare season 14 to season 20 for example, 14 is way better. What bothers me is that the earlier seasons were more character driven and grounded in some kind of reality. The later seasons allow for surrealistisc things to happen, like Homer and the whole family seeing his fortune in Spaghetti sauce, that would not have been possible earlier. Also they let the cameo appearances get way out of hand and sometimes they seem to be there just for the sake of a celebrity appearing rather than making sense for the story. This was a whole different thing when for example Michael Jackson was in an episode and not even playing himself but a character that was really advancing the plot.
Old 07-08-2012, 04:10 AM

I'm on a Simpsons binge right now, and I have to say that this is where I am going to be reevaluating my thoughts on the series and making my decision as to whether or not I continue to buy any more seasons going forward or not. Right now, I just finished Season 6 (started a week and a half ago, I've been blowing through a season usually in 2 days) and I have loved every minute of it. I haven't watched anything from Seasons 13 or 14 yet, and I bought the BDs the day each one came out, but I'm kind of worried I am not going to enjoy these episodes like I thought I did once before afterwards.