'Underworld: The Essential Collection' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-12-2011, 03:27 PM

Default 'Underworld: The Essential Collection' - High-Def Digest Review

The series hits Blu-ray AGAIN. Nate Boss gives us his thorough review of 'Underworld: The Essential Collection.'

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6029...essential.html
Old 12-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Actually, the third movie was always planned to be a prequel. I believe it is stated in the director's commentary track on the first movie's first DVD release that the first movie is the middle of the story, the second will be the ending, and the third would be the beginning.

Anyway, I love these movies, It shows you can have some good stylish movies by using just three colors.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Former Member

white black and blue or crimson black and blue? i'd say 4 colors.
Old 12-13-2011, 03:19 PM

I seem to be the odd man out here, but I thought the rise of the lycans was stupid. I didn't think it fleshed out the backstory at all, and that the story worked much much better as a series of flashbacks.
Old 12-13-2011, 04:30 PM

Love the series, looking forward to seeing the next one in the theaters as I've seen all the others, really enjoyed Rise of the Lycans, fit perfectly with the other two and made this (at the time) one great trilogy, watched together they work out really well even though they were made out of order
Old 12-13-2011, 06:56 PM

Rise of The Lycans is the best one, IMO.
Old 12-14-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidfreek View Post
Love the series, looking forward to seeing the next one in the theaters as I've seen all the others, really enjoyed Rise of the Lycans, fit perfectly with the other two and made this (at the time) one great trilogy, watched together they work out really well even though they were made out of order
I agree with everything you said. My wife and I made it a marathon night one weekend to watch all films back to back, that never happens, and she stayed awake for all of them, again that never happens and hasn't since. Not only does RotL nicely tie the other 2 movies together, but I love how it fully explains the origins on the hatred between their species. More vamps vs. weres please!
Old 12-14-2011, 11:59 AM

Great review, Nate. A thorough and well thought-out analysis of the original trilogy, why it's a shameless repackaging, and why the "bonus" anime should've been an extra instead of a weak attempt as a standalone ala "The Animatrix". I enjoyed reading your review.

So many great lines but this one was my favorite:

Quote:
This nonsensical sequence is a perfect example of why 'Underworld: Endless War' thankfully ends in less time than it takes to cook a frozen pizza in the oven, though it's hardly the only one.
Old 12-14-2011, 01:21 PM

I'm curious to check out the anime.
Old 12-14-2011, 04:10 PM
Former Member

40 bucks for 17 minutes worth of anime. should be available as a MIR or something, a "send us your UPC of the box set or the 3 individual films and we'll fire you the disc for 4.99" or some shit. considering how much we get from FUNimation for the price, and how any fan already has these, just yikes.

thanks a boatload Wolvie!