Lack of big titles for holiday this year - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-08-2011, 01:44 PM

Default Lack of big titles for holiday this year

It seems to me that this year there is an absolute lack of any tentpole (big name or popular catalog) titles timed for the holidays this year.

Generally by this time last year we heard of all the studios big X-mas releases for popular catalog titles.

We do have past releases like Jurassic Park and Star Wars, but nothing timed for holidays or post holiday shopping season.

Last year they released more in January with the mindset that folks who get Bluray players or gift cards as gifts will go shopping for some titles after the holidays. But I see nothing good in January either.

Indiana Jones was supposed to be planned for this holiday, but I believe it was delayed. I checked the release schedules for Dec/Jan. and their are just no popular catalog titles to be released.

This is what we had in 2010 in Late Nov. - January:
Bladerunner
Backdraft
Color Purple
Austin Powers
Raging Bull
Dances with Wolves
JFK
Rob Roy
Highlander: 25th Anniversary
Bad Boys

Whats going on this year?
Would they be planning to make announcements this late in the season still?

Last edited by jfcarbel; 12-08-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-08-2011, 05:19 PM

We did get Guns of Navarone, the original Straw Dogs, 12 Angry Men, West Side Story, and Little Big Man to name a few. To Kill a Mockingbird is coming in January so that is something. It may be stretching a bit, calling this a holiday release, but we did get Ben Hur in late September. And while I don't think that most of these titles are the best of what is available in the studio archives, I do agree that the release of more catalog titles could be better.

Also, Blade Runner was a re-release last year so does that really count?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:55 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

Bladerunner has been out longer than that. Regarding your list for last year, a few decent titles but nothing overly exciting.