'Mission Impossible: Extreme Blu-ray Trilogy' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2011, 07:56 PM

Default 'Mission Impossible: Extreme Blu-ray Trilogy' - High-Def Digest Review

If you don't already own them, we'll tell you why the 'Mission Impossible: Extreme Blu-ray Trilogy' is worth picking up!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6093...e_extreme.html
Old 12-07-2011, 08:24 PM

New most pointless double--er, triple--dip release ever.

It's a shame that, five years later, Paramount's HD DVDs are still heads-and-shoulders better than the available blu-rays.
Old 12-07-2011, 09:18 PM

No, what's a shame, is that new AVC encoded transfers, with DTS-HD-MA audio were released by Paramount in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. The recent Netherlands release is also AVC encodings for all three, yet, strangely, their M:I:III is still lossy Dolby 5.1.
Old 12-07-2011, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
No, what's a shame, is that new AVC encoded transfers, with DTS-HD-MA audio were released by Paramount in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia. The recent Netherlands release is also AVC encodings for all three, yet, strangely, their M:I:III is still lossy Dolby 5.1.
That too, I guess.

Do you know if the HK (etc) AVC/DTS-HD set includes the second disc of extras for M-I-III?
Old 12-07-2011, 11:49 PM

It's sad that movie studios don't even bother to either upgrade the video/audio or add more materials when multi-dipping several movies lately. I guess a new artwork or slipon cover qualities a "new" edition.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:49 AM

Are you kidding? No audio HD? Forget it! And worst: ITS RECOMMEND IT!

OG.- 3/5 stars
Bottom line.- For fans only or give it a rent.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:15 AM
Formerly Lordoftherings

I'll stick with my HD DVD Trilogy thank you very much Tom Cruise & Paramount!

* The s are DD+ (640 Kbps).
Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 AM
Mod, Staff, Movie Buff

One thing I really really hate is buy a trilogy or quadrilogy or whatever and then they release another one. That box set then looks like a turd on the shelf when you pick up the next one.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:54 AM

That way they can sell you the "ultimate quadrilogy" pak - until the fifth installment comes out

Last edited by CrazyChemist; 12-08-2011 at 09:54 AM. Reason: Typos
Old 12-08-2011, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky_Captain View Post
No, what's a shame, is that new AVC encoded transfers, with DTS-HD-MA audio were released by Paramount in Hong Kong and other parts of Asia.
Is that confirmed by someone who has the discs, or just based on retailer listings or packaging?

I see this listing on YesAsia that claims discs with DTS-MA, but the packaging artwork is virtually identical to the U.S. set. I have a hard time believing that Paramount would author different discs for different territories, all marketed as the same "Extreme Trilogy." That's just not the m.o. for a multi-national company like this.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/mission-im...0-en/info.html

It seems more likely to me that the Hong Kong packaging simply has a typo about the audio formats on the discs. It certainly wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened.