Blu-ray Sales Up 35% in 2011 - Even Stronger Overseas - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2011, 05:33 PM
HDD Contributor

Default Blu-ray Sales Up 35% in 2011 - Even Stronger Overseas

As you might imagine, 'Star Wars' gave the format quite a boost.

http://www.homemediamagazine.com/blu...-35-2011-25811
Old 12-07-2011, 08:47 PM

Old news, more SW boosted 'increase' reports.
Old 12-08-2011, 01:27 PM

prices are definately down in my neck of canada.

it was only a few years ago when you couldnt find a blu-ray movie under 32$, regardless if it was a new full loaded release or an old bareboned catalogue title. these days most new releases are in the 21-27 range and they constantly have sales for catalogue titles for 7-15 dollars. and dvd buyers gain from this as those are even cheaper now.

players are much cheaper as well. when i bought mine, it was in the 130 dollar range and that was the cheapest i could find. everythign else was near 200 and up. these days you have some for 100 or less. even if you're someone who doesn't want to convert, its so worth it to buy a player so you at least have the choice and option should you change your mind since they of course play dvd as well.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM

Angry Prices are good, policy of studios still suck

I love that Blu-Ray is safe from becoming the next , but I still haven't purchased Star Wars (and I am a huge fan of the original trilogy, and by that I mean "original") and I won't until Lucas wakes the hell up or someone over at Fox forces him to release the original masters in a cleaned up version with lossless audio formats.

As for Blu-Rays being cheaper than ever, yes that's true but there are still a lot of Studios still not willing to realize that they should have made parity with DVD pricing structures instead of taking advantage of a new format to try and gouge an extra 10$ out of customers.

We are not morons and have long caught on to the fact that these bastards keep raising prices for no good reason. And what do we get for our money, rehashed HD masters from the DVD days with crap audio and no special features.

They are still pull the same BS they did when DVD's were new, just look up things like the blu-ray of Patton or Gladiator. Hell Sony released a crappy version of The 5th Element on Blu-Ray and the movie and studio releasing it had the most to gain/lose over Blu-Ray. If they thought they could get away with subpar picture and audio what's to stop the other studios.

I don't mind paying for quality but I'm tired of paying for something and then being triple dipped while they get their act together. How hard is it for them to get their crap straight the first time so I don't have to buy 3 copies just to get a good picture or good sound?

And on top of this they are still getting Digital Distribution wrong. Having the digital copy that works on PC's and Mac's is a great idea. BUT WHY IN GODS NAME DO THEY EXPIRE?????

I just bought a brand new copy of "Inception" on Blu from Amazon. I didn't expect a digital copy but it came with one and I was pleasantly surprised. I had gotten the movie on Sale for $8.00 so I thought i had finally gotten a decent deal for once. But when I went to get the digital copy (which has no value for me whatsoever other than the bragging factor with friends) I found that it had expires as of 5-26-11.

These things have digital codes that can ONLY BE USED ONCE!!!! Why the hell would you also put an expiration date on it too. I didn't expect the digital copy, and I really didn't care about it, but once I found out that i COULDN"T have it I was really pissed off.

/Rant

I love blu-ray but I hate that these guys just don't get the future yet. I'll be interested to see how they handle "Ultraviolet", terrible name BTW which latches it self onto a B copy cat vampire flick with Mila Jovovich. If Ultraviolet has so much DRM it only works with authorized apps, it will likely fail, and if they don't provide future proofing for the digital versions (higher resolutions, better audio in the future) then what's the purpose. Buy once, keep an old out of date copy that you can watch infinitely. That's not what the promised of an always connected internet should provide. You should be paying for the license to watch that particular movie in whatever format is available now and in the future, within reason of course. But I'm sick to death of the expectation that to get better picture and audio we have to buy movies 10 times. Ok seriously now, rant over.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouncy X View Post
prices are definately down in my neck of canada.

it was only a few years ago when you couldnt find a blu-ray movie under 32$, regardless if it was a new full loaded release or an old bareboned catalogue title. these days most new releases are in the 21-27 range and they constantly have sales for catalogue titles for 7-15 dollars. and dvd buyers gain from this as those are even cheaper now.

players are much cheaper as well. when i bought mine, it was in the 130 dollar range and that was the cheapest i could find. everythign else was near 200 and up. these days you have some for 100 or less. even if you're someone who doesn't want to convert, its so worth it to buy a player so you at least have the choice and option should you change your mind since they of course play dvd as well.
Less stores are carrying BDs however, Chapters no longer in store, Blockbusters gone, Rogers closing stores, HMV scaling back, etc.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:09 AM

Luckily there's this thing called the Internet -- you may have of heard of it -- where you can buy anything you want, and you usually pay less for things than you would in a bricks and mortar store.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:10 AM

There is also this thing called the economy where bricks and mortar stores pretty much everywhere across the spectrum of retailing are feeling the squeeze, and are being contracted, irrespective of whether they sell . Internet prices are kicking the high street retailers in the proverbial you know what's across the spectrum, not just on

It is therefore noteworthy that is showing this sort of sales increase at a time of ever increasing austerity.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judesalmon View Post
Luckily there's this thing called the Internet -- you may have of heard of it -- where you can buy anything you want, and you usually pay less for things than you would in a bricks and mortar store.
And there’s a thing called -- international borders – pal, where savings disappear and shipping slows to a crawl for the ‘USA’ internet, assuming ones does not mind playing Russian roulette with a credit card and wrong orders.

But of course real stores closing down and cutting back really means a boon for BDs, if you use percentages that is, since then it can be manipulated to mean anything that is wanted irregardless of the real world.

I will count sales in a real increase when studios stop complaining about catalog titles not selling and stop handing them out to other distributors and release the BDs themselves.