The Fabric of Time in 3D (A Blu-ray 3-D documentary on the Shroud of Turin) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-07-2011, 02:37 AM
Banned

Default The Fabric of Time in 3D (A Blu-ray 3-D documentary on the Shroud of Turin)

The Fabric of Time in 3D

(A Blu-ray 3-D documentary on the Shroud of Turin)

The Fabric of Time in 3D was the very first Christian title every released on Blu-ray 3-D and the Fabric of Time was also the very first Christian documentary released on Blu-ray 3-D.

This Blu-ray disc will display only in 2D without special hardware. To watch this movie in Blu-ray 3D, you will need a 3D-capable display, 3-D glasses, and a 3D-capable Blu-ray player.

Quotes:

“Purported to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ, the Shroud of Turin
is famous for the image it bears—that of a tortured and crucified man.”

“Recent scientific advancements reveal holographic information contained in a single fiber
from this ancient cloth, possibly revealing the true identity of the man depicted in the Shroud.”

“Examine, for yourself, the Shroud of Turin in 3D. Experience some of the most amazing, three-
dimensional images ever to be seen of what many believe to be the burial cloth of Jesus Christ.”

Quotes:

We live in a world where science and religion have often been on opposing sides. But is all that changing? For the first time, science and religion have come together to uncover an age-old mystery. Who was Jesus Christ? What did he actually look like? And can the story of his death and resurrection now be proven as true? Viewers around the world are in the jury box as newly found scientific discoveries are presented by scholars, scientists, and historians in an unflinching search for evidence -- nothing has been held back. Could it be that actual documentation of this amazing story is still available today? Is it possible that a single fiber from an ancient artifact might hold the answers? And has science found a way to unlock the hidden information contained in the artifact that could provide a link to the past—one that might explain the universe in a whole new light and give hope to people around the world? Did Christ leave us physical evidence that only now with quantum leaps forward in science, are we able to understand? Have scientists actually been able to produce a full three dimensional image of Christ? See the evidence and decide for yourself in THE FABRIC OF TIME: Are the Secrets of the Universe Hidden in an Ancient Cloth?”

“Exclusive Bonus Features (in 2D HD)
  • Legal Arguments for the Shroud of Turin
  • Seeing the Unseen
  • Is the Shroud of Turin a Painting or Not?
  • Preservation of the Shroud of Turin
  • Extended Expert Interviews
Digitally Mastered Picture and Sound, Digital 5.1 Surround Sound, NTSC, Color, CC
Approximately 120 minutes including bonus features”

The Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D was produced by Grizzly Adams Productions Inc. The Fabric of Time is a Christian documentary about the Shroud of Turin. Currently Grizzly Adams Productions has only released 2 Blu-ray titles and both titles are on the Blu-ray 3D format. The other Blu-ray 3-D title is called “Friends for life” which is a family movie.

The Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D can be purchased at Amazon for the full list price of $34.95. The best price available on the Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D is to purchase the movie directly from Grizzly Adams Productions website. Currently the Fabric of Time in 3D costs only $24.95 plus if one uses the coupon code “THANKS” they get $5 off orders over $19.95. Plus orders over $39.95 gets free shipping.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:43 AM
Banned

A brief review about the “Friends for Life” and “The Fabric of Time” Blu-ray 3-D titles

Grizzly Adams Productions only sells two Blu-ray titles on their website so far. Both Blu-rays are on the Blu-ray 3D format (Both Blu-rays will also play in 2-D for consumers that do not own a 3-D display). Below I have written a very brief review for the “Friends For Life in 3D” and “The Fabric of Time in 3D”. Instead of creating a separate thread for Friends for Life in 3-D I decided to write a brief review below:

Friends for Life on Blu-ray 3-D comments

Friends for life is not a Christian movie since there is no mention of the New Testament or Jesus Christ in the movie. There is an angel in the Friends for Life movie just like many secular family movies also have an angel in it. “It’s a Wonderful Life” was also a good family movie with an angel in it. Friends for life is a good family movie for all faiths. The acting goes from ok to good and the wolf pups in the movie are interesting to watch. The movie keeps people watching since it does have an ok story line. This is not one of my favorite movies but I would maybe sometime in the future watch it again. The Friends for Life movie did receive 30 independent film awards plus a family member that I know that is not into these types of movies thought it was well done. A more detailed description about what the movie is about can be read at the Grizzly Adams Production website .

Friends for Life video quality (review on the 2-D version of the movie only)

I do not own a 3-D display yet so my video comments are about the 2-D version of the movie. I placed the Friends for Life Blu-ray 3-D disc into my computer BD-ROM drive to get the amount of GB's that were used on this single layer 25GB disc. The movie was watched on a Pioneer PRO-141FD with an OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player. I was surprised that this Friends for Life movie is not on a BD-ROM disc but instead a BD-R disc is used. BD-R discs are normally made in lower QTY’s with a Blu-ray recorder and some Blu-ray players have trouble playing BD-R discs compared to BD-ROM’s that are stamped in a factory. Also this 3-D movie only takes up 16.6GB of space on a 25GB Blu-ray disc. I was disappointed a little with the video quality. Both the “Friends For Life” Blu-ray 3-D and “Fabric of Time” Blu-ray 3-D are frame packed at a resolution of 720P at 60Hz (59.940Hz). I have never owned a 720P Blu-ray before. 720P is HD quality and better than 480i and 480P SD but I was hoping to watch a 1080P movie. Lower budget HD productions are sometimes filmed at 720P with a digital HD cameras instead of the more costly 1080P digital video cameras (I do not think these videos are a professional upconvert from 480i to 720P, but most likely native 720P as the studio source material). On the positive side if these movies were filmed in native 720P at 60Hz (59.940Hz) then 100% of all consumer displays will playback the video based program with no 3:2 pulldown issues to worry about. That is one positive of native 720P 60hz programs. The Friends for life movie is presented in the standard 16:9 ratio.

The Friends for life movie is encoded at a lower bit rate MPEG-4/AVC compared to many secular movies on the market with much higher bit rates. Some parts of the movie get down to around 9.5Mbps for combined video and audio for many parts of the movie while other parts of the movie will peak up to the low 20Mbps. On average the 91 minute and 56 second movie appears to be around 15Mbps for a combined video and audio bit rate when watching it in 2-D. 3-D would have a higher bitrate. Also 720P videos do not need to have as high as bit rate as a 1080P video.

For the Friends for Life movie it appeared to be soft with some digital artifacts while watching it on a 60 inch Pioneer PRO-141FD. Other parts of the movie look like a 720P HD cable channel.

Friends for Life audio quality

The jacket for the Friends for Life Blu-ray 3-D looks like the art designer might have copied the information over from the DVD version by mistake. The jacket claims the movie is in NTSC with 5.1 Surround Sound. The movie and bonus material is in 720P HD and not NTSC. To my surprise this Friends for Life Blu-ray 3-D and Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D contains a 5.1 DTS HD Master audio soundtrack. This is not mentioned anywhere on the Blu-ray jacket. DTS-HD Master audio is bit for bit the same as the studio master. All 5.1 channels were active while watching the Friends of Life movie including the subwoofer. Most of the audio information comes from the front speakers.

Friends for life bonus material

While the Friends for Life movie is in both 720P 3-D and 2-D the bonus material is 100% 2-D only. Working with animals is presented in 720P at 60Hz (59.940Hz) with a 2-D HD encode using MPEG-4/AVC. It turned out to be 9 minutes and 43 seconds worth of bonus material that is in Dolby Digital Stereo at 48k. This was an enjoyable video about the wolf pups, larger wolfs, and the bear in the movie. It was an interesting video on how they trained the animals to perform for the movie.

The Fabric of Time in 3-D

Fabric of Time on Blu-ray 3-D comments

The Fabric of Time turned out to be a very interesting documentary on the Shroud of Turin. This video looks at the scientific and historical information on where the Shroud came from and how the image might have been created on the Shroud. A more detailed description about what the video is about can be read at the Grizzly Adams Production website.

The Fabric of Time video quality (review on the 2-D version only)

(Main program is 58 minutes and 28 seconds long, bonus material is over 90 minutes)

I do not own a 3-D display yet so my video comments are about the 2-D version of the video. I placed “The Fabric of Time” Blu-ray 3-D disc into my computer BD-ROM drive to get the amount of GB's that were used on this single layer 25GB disc. The video was watched on a Pioneer PRO-141FD with an OPPO BDP-93 Blu-ray player. I was surprised that the Fabric of Time 3-D documentary is not on a BD-ROM disc but instead a BD-R disc is used. BD-R discs are normally made in lower QTY’s with a Blu-ray recorder and some Blu-ray players have trouble playing BD-R discs compared to BD-ROM’s that are stamped in a factory. This 3-D documentary uses 21.6GB of space on a 25GB Blu-ray disc. I was disappointed a little with the video quality. Both the “Friends For Life” Blu-ray 3-D and “Fabric of Time” Blu-ray 3-D are frame packed at a resolution of 720P at 60Hz (59.940Hz). I have never owned a 720P Blu-ray before. 720P is HD quality and better than 480i and 480P SD but I was hoping to watch a 1080P Blu-ray program. Lower budget HD productions are sometimes filmed at 720P with a digital HD cameras instead of the more costly 1080P digital video cameras (I do not think these videos are a professional upconvert from 480i to 720P, but most likely native 720P as the studio source material). On the positive side if these movies were filmed in native 720P at 60Hz (59.940Hz) then 100% of all consumer displays will playback the video based program with no 3:2 pulldown issues to worry about. That is one positive of native 720P 60hz programs.

The Fabric of Time documentary is encoded at a lower bit rate MPEG-4/AVC compared to many secular documentaries on the market with much higher bit rates. Some parts of the documentary get down to around 4.4Mbps for combined video and audio for only a few parts of the documentary during darker scenes while many other parts of the video are well above 10Mbps. I even once and awhile saw the OPPO BDP-93 bit rate meter go to around 25Mbps for fast moving scenes with a lot of brightness. On average this video appears to be around 15Mbps for a combined video and audio when watching it in 2-D. 3-D would have a higher bitrate. Also 720P videos do not need to have as high as bit rate as a 1080P video. According to the jacket information the program or disc is 120 minutes including bonus information. The main program is only 58 minutes and 28 seconds long. The bonus features on the Blu-ray disc are well over 90 minutes.

This Fabric of Time video at times appeared to have a soft video look but with less digital artifacts when compared to the Friends for life movie. This disc defiantly looks better than a DVD and perhaps on some scenes better than ones 720P HD cable channel.

The Fabric of Time audio quality

The jacket for the Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D looks like the art designer might have copied the information over from the DVD version by mistake. The jacket claims the video is in NTSC with Digital 5.1 Surround Sound. The main program and bonus material is in 720P HD and not NTSC. To my surprise this Fabric of Time Blu-ray 3-D and Friends for Life Blu-ray 3-D contains a 5.1 DTS HD Master audio soundtrack. This is not mentioned anywhere on the Blu-ray jacket. DTS-HD Master audio is bit for bit the same as the studio master. All 5.0 channels were active and most of the audio came from the front speakers. Even though this Fabric of Time Blu-ray has a 5.1 DTS HD Master audio soundtrack, I did not notice the subwoofer being active at all. The program either did not send any audio information to the subwoofer or I missed it. The program will default to 5.1 DTS-HD Master audio when played, for those consumers with stereo systems only there is also a 2.0 Dolby Digital stereo 48k soundtrack on this Fabric of Time Blu-ray disc. The main program is 16:9 at 720P.

The Fabric of Time with over 90 minutes of bonus features in 720P 2-D

The Fabric of Time main program is in both 720P 3-D and 2-D and the Special Features is 100% 2-D only with a MPEG-4/AVC encode. Under the Special Features section of the Fabric of Time Blu-ray disc is the following bonus features in 720P with 2.0 Dolby Digital Stereo:

1. Gian Maria Zaccone: ( 6 minutes and 16 seconds).

2. Is The Shroud a Painting or Not (19 minutes and 29 seconds).

3. Karlheinz Deitz (3 minutes and 52 seconds).

4. Legal Arguments for the Shroud (10 minutes and 47 seconds).

5. Mark Guscin (28 minutes and 5 seconds).

6. Mechthild Flury-Lemberg (10 minutes and 41 seconds).

7. Pierluigi Baima Ballone (1 minute and 42 seconds).

8. Preservation of the Shroud (4 minutes and 8 seconds).

9. Seeing the Unseen (9 minutes and 12 seconds).

Summary

Grizzly Adams Productions produces some excellent Christian and family programs on DVD and Blu-ray. Currently Grizzly Adams Productions only has released two Blu-ray titles that are encoded at 720P for both 2-D and 3-D viewing. The theory is those two Blu-ray titles use a 720P resolution because most likely the studio master is at a native 720P video source. Making movies at 720P quality costs less money. In the future hopefully for film based material Grizzly Adams Productions should do a minimum of a 4K or 2K master scan of the original film negative and release programs in true 1080P Blu-ray quality at higher bit rates on to a dual layer 50GB disc. Grizzly Adams Productions has the rights to the Ancient Secrets of the Bible series. I own all 13 Ancient Secrets of the Bible series on standard 480i DVD and would be very interested in a Blu-ray box set of all 13 of the Ancient Secrets of the Bible collection. Also I hope future Blu-ray releases will use BD-ROM stamped discs instead of BD-R recorded discs. The Christian Blu-ray title called "Created Cosmos" I reviewed from Answers in Genesis uses a professional stamped BD-ROM from a Sony Blu-ray factory (Plus that disc was 100% 1080P with some Star Fields that had reference quality).

Last edited by HDTV1080P; 12-24-2011 at 03:52 AM.