'Fright Night - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-06-2011, 03:33 PM

Default 'Fright Night - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Fright Night - 3D' has just been posted!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5871/frightnight3d.html
Old 12-06-2011, 05:30 PM

Still going to get this one. Sounds like the 3D is hit or miss. Shame. Will have to view it myself to see what my take is on it with the gear that I am using.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:11 PM

I saw this in the theater. I enjoyed the movie, but the 3D added next to nothing to the film, IMO.
Old 12-07-2011, 01:08 PM

I completely expected to hate this movie, but I found myself enjoying it. It really sets itself apart from the original, with good performances all around(Farell really seems to enjoy the role). I'll be picking it up as well, I'll also give the 3D version a try, as my system is pretty bright.
Old 12-07-2011, 08:11 PM

I was a fan of the original film, so went and caught this one in theatres with the wife. I didn't expect much, but we really did end up enjoying it.

As far as the 3-D goes, it isn't absolutely necessary, but I did find it worked very well in certain sequences (like the scenes in the car mentioned in the review). There also a few brilliantly subtle 3-D effects that really added to it (e.g. some of the high shots in the club scene). It's no Avatar or Hugo on the 3-D front, but it didn't feel like a cheap cash-in for 3-D, either.

I don't have a 3-D TV at home yet, but will pick up the 3-D version on Blu-ray so I'm ready once I upgrade.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:39 AM

I saw this in the theatre and must admit that I was impressed by the 3D. I am usually anti-3D, but for Fright Night I thought it added great value, since it wasn't overused enough to become gimmicky like most 3D, and (probably because of) this subtlety made the very few instances of "pop-out 3D" really shine.

One brief scene involved a paint can going through a glass door... and my buddy literally lept out of his seat. It was certainly an effective moment, and one of the few highlights in the recent history of theatrical 3D.

Wasn't overly hot on the film though... it was ok, and I have not seen the original... but I am left with no desire to see this version again.
Old 12-08-2011, 12:57 AM

Yeah, I was really surprised by my enjoyment of this film. Pleasant surprise.

Oh, I also disliked the original. So...

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:35 AM

Now this is how you do a remake. With a screenplay by Marti Noxon (Angel & Buffy) it is enough of a departure from the original to make it worth doing but still staying true to the feel of 1985 film. David Tennant (Dr. Who) plays Peter Vincent and they wisely don't try and go with the same type of character that Roddy McDowell played instead he's a kind of over the top Vegas magician with a vampire themed stage act. Colin Farrell follows in the footsteps of Chris Sarandon in giving us an actually sexy yet very dangerous monster. Anton Yelchin (Star Trek) as Charlie Brewster is decent in the rather thankless job as the "hero."

But the dark scenes really really kind of suck picture quality wise.