'The Rocketeer: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-05-2011, 02:19 PM

Default 'The Rocketeer: 20th Anniversary Edition' - High-Def Digest Review

Our next review makes me feel very, very old. Michael Palmer has just reviewed 'The Rocketeer: 20th Anniversary Edition.' 20th Anniversary Edition?!! This is a must read review. If you're a fan, you'll be very, very happy.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3408/rocketeer.html
Old 12-05-2011, 02:31 PM

20th Anniversary with no supplements? These studios need such a slap
Old 12-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Just happy to have a solid release of this film. Been too long.

I would have loved to have seen some deleted footage and the behind the scenes stuff that was shown on Disney Channel.

Any game that features paid loot boxes should be rated AO.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:40 PM

Time to replace my Laser Disc.
Old 12-05-2011, 02:45 PM

This was the first movie I ever saw as a special sneak peek; Disney did a late-night Saturday screening the week before general release. At one time I had a copy of the original one-sheet, still one of the greatest movie posters of the past 20 years. "Captain America" should have had a poster that cool.

Glad to hear the Blu-ray looks good; this will be a definite purchase for me.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM

Odd to hear a fan of this film saying he doesn't like Lothar, he's the first thing I've always thought of when thinking about this film (followed closely by Terry O'Quinn's Hughes). Lothar always seemed like a standard '30s character to me. Thanks for putting the poster image in the review by the way, I forgot how awesome it was, very iconic, and makes me remember one of the reasons I was so excited to see the movie.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:34 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAngles View Post
Odd to hear a fan of this film saying he doesn't like Lothar, he's the first thing I've always thought of when thinking about this film (followed closely by Terry O'Quinn's Hughes). Lothar always seemed like a standard '30s character to me. Thanks for putting the poster image in the review by the way, I forgot how awesome it was, very iconic, and makes me remember one of the reasons I was so excited to see the movie.
He's pretty scary and effective for sure, and though this is a very small nitpick in a film i really enjoy, he seemed to stick out as more cartoonish than the other tonal aspects. (Yes, yes, "cartoonish" in a film where a man wears a jetpack, fights Nazis in the USA, and punches federal officers without going to jail)

To each his own

Thanks for posting, everyone! I hope, if you're planning to get this, you'll enjoy your Blu-ray copy of 'The Rocketeer' when it comes out next week. Cheers.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonunpackmule View Post
Just happy to have a solid release of this film. Been too long.
I find myself caring less and less about special features so I'm plenty satisfied with this release, too.
Old 12-05-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane View Post
I find myself caring less and less about special features so I'm plenty satisfied with this release, too.
Ten it shouldbe priced accordingly IMO
Old 12-05-2011, 04:08 PM

I'd think the film would have developed enough of a following over the years to merit some special features. Having said that, I'm glad to hear that Disney did a good job on the video and audio. I can wait a while for the price to drop, but this will definitely find its way into my collection. Thanks for the review!