'My Fair Lady' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-02-2011, 02:11 PM

Default 'My Fair Lady' - High-Def Digest Review

David Krauss has reviewed 'My Fair Lady.' This is a must read review. Read on to learn if Paramount has done right by this classic film.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/3178/myfairlady.html
Old 12-02-2011, 02:56 PM

Should be HIGHLY RECOMMENDED or even MUST OWN
Great film
Old 12-02-2011, 03:01 PM

Did you read the review?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Great film
I'd agree about the film, but I really appreciate the review for pointing out that for as great as the film is... well, the studio needed to do more to make the Blu-ray worthy of the film.

I'd gladly pay a premium for a top-notch copy of the film but it seems that the studio figured that simply putting out a Blu-ray copy of the same thing they were already selling on DVD would let them cash in. Thanks, but not so fast on that for me.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston007 View Post
Yeah, it should be, but Paramount utterly quarter-assed this release.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 PM

" A film of this sort demands a more lavish presentation befitting its stature as both a classic piece of American musical theater and winner of eight Academy Awards, including Best Picture. Why not a digibook or a collector's edition with fancier packaging and a commemorative booklet? A missed opportunity, to be sure, and one film aficionados will rue for a while "

Don't want to argue with the reviewer as it's an excellent critique but this is a bit naive. It's quite obvious what they are doing - sell the barebones version now and then 6 months down the line get the die hard fans to double dip by buying the digibook release with the same disc in it. It's been done so many times over the last few years that I would have thought it was obvious what they are planning.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscJunkie View Post
Don't want to argue with the reviewer as it's an excellent critique but this is a bit naive. It's quite obvious what they are doing - sell the barebones version now and then 6 months down the line get the die hard fans to double dip by buying the digibook release with the same disc in it. It's been done so many times over the last few years that I would have thought it was obvious what they are planning.
I think it's a little unfair to call naive the reviewer's failure to note a presumption you make. First of all, it's not really relevant to the review. The reviewer explains his opinion that the film deserves a better release than this. Whether that release is coming, down the road, is immaterial- he's reviewing this release.

Secondly, I don't think the fancy release you predict is quite so obvious as you would have it. In most cases of the kind of multiple releases you describe, the fancy "collector" package comes to market first. Also, this release re-uses an ancient analog video transfer. It's clear that only a very minimal investment was made to produce it. This isn't the kind of video product that historically has been associated with deluxe, expensive packaging.
Old 12-03-2011, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terpfan1980 View Post
Did you read the review?

I'd agree about the film, but I really appreciate the review for pointing out that for as great as the film is... well, the studio needed to do more to make the Blu-ray worthy of the film.

I'd gladly pay a premium for a top-notch copy of the film but it seems that the studio figured that simply putting out a Blu-ray copy of the same thing they were already selling on DVD would let them cash in. Thanks, but not so fast on that for me.
Yes I read it, and I feel the initial price makes for a good buy. I guess I should have ended my original post with IMO

I don't consider it the same as DVD because frankly the picture and audio quality seem better than the DVD version, so it is an upgrade.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:14 AM

Default It's Paramount.

What do you expect from Paramount? Aside from the 10Cs I can't think of a studio that shows as little interest in PQ/Bluray than Paramount. There's the Gladiator version debacle for example. The confusion would never have happened if Paramount had simply changed the SKU for the improved version. Overall it doesn't augur well for Indy Jones in 2012. I'm not hopeful of a stellar set of discs. This studio almost seems to want BD to fail.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reidw View Post
What do you expect from Paramount? Aside from the 10Cs I can't think of a studio that shows as little interest in PQ/Bluray than Paramount. There's the Gladiator version debacle for example. The confusion would never have happened if Paramount had simply changed the SKU for the improved version. Overall it doesn't augur well for Indy Jones in 2012. I'm not hopeful of a stellar set of discs. This studio almost seems to want BD to fail.
There's a lot of nonsense here. Paramount worse than the icon of incompetence that is Universal? No.

In regards to the bold: every Spielberg disc through Paramount/Dreamworks has been exceptional. Saving Private Ryan and Minority Report were both brand new 4K remasters--courtesy of Laser Pacific--that look, stylized cinematography notwithstanding, perfect. LP also oversaw the new 4K remasters of the entire Indiana Jones trilogy, so fear not. The new Indy masters are in the wild--frequently seen on cable--and they are breathtaking. The BDs will be stellar.
Old 12-09-2011, 07:34 AM

I admit, I was shocked - even after reading the review - that the right and left side, alternating sometimes, could be fuzzy and lacking in solid blacks. It was damned annoying and shameful for it to be released like this. I was especially astonished that Robert Harris was involved with it when I saw the documentary. But I assume his participation ended way back when and had nothing to do with the Blu release. This is such a marvellous movie and deserves a 5 star video treatment. As it is I have to give the PQ somewhere between a 3 1/2 to 4...but mostly 3 1/2. To paraphrase an old Mae West quote...When she's good, she's very very good...when she's bad, she's awful.