'Deep Purple with Orchestra: Live at Montreux 2011' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-01-2011, 01:52 PM

Default 'Deep Purple with Orchestra: Live at Montreux 2011' - High-Def Digest Review

Luke has reviewed 'Deep Purple with Orchestra: Live at Montreux 2011.' He is not a fan. This Blu-ray features very weak video, very strong audio, and little in the way of extras. This is for fans only.

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/5971...orchestra.html
Old 12-01-2011, 05:00 PM

I'll admit that I'm probably only commenting because of the very negative comments about the band, but...did Luke type this review on his Blackberry or does he need an editor? The review is scattered with poor wording such as:

"The current Deep Purple is shell of the original band. Most of the members are now replacement of the originals."

"By why Deep Purple?"

"Presumably, true Deep Purple fans with enjoy seeing their beloved rock band"

"Inserting in the case is a four-page booklet with photos from the show and an essay about Deep Purple by writer Max Bell."

And as far as I know, three of the five band members are from the classic line-up.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:17 PM

"The contrast level is so far to the right that all blacks are white grays and anything bright is detail-less."
I'm no cinematographer but wouldn't high contrast make the darks darker, not brighter? Sounds more like it's got washed-out white balance, or is simply too bright.

I appreciate the honesty of this review in calling out the flaws of this poor disc, but when you wonder aloud why Metallica ever recorded with an orchestra you're being TOO honest.

Last edited by impetus; 12-01-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:00 PM

Terrible review. Misinformed, badly written and riddled with mistakes.
Old 12-01-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob X View Post
I agree. No offense, Luke, but you shouldn't be reviewing this if you know so little about the band.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:44 AM

Thumbs down A reviewer with better knowledge would be appreciated

IF you are not a fan of Deep Purple than you should at least check for example wikipedia before calling it "shell of the original band" or making statements like "Most of the members are now replacements of the originals".

Actually there are 3 of the five members who are there since the beginning or with interruptions since 1969 which according to my math knowledge is 60% of the band and the majority.

Deep Purple have evolved over time and it is fun to see them still on stage loving to perform and putting new twists to there song time and time again.

As I said: Luke may be technically competent but is definitely the wrong person to do a fair review of this disc, which is a shame.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:13 AM

"It's quite funny to watch them play live now, more than 40 years after they got their start. The band consists of a bunch of old guys."

Are you a serious reviewer for this site? Or are you filling in for someone on Christmas vacation?
Old 12-02-2011, 09:59 AM

Default Outrageous excuse for a review....

Although I don't particularly care for this line-up of the band, classic Deep Purple (of which three of the current line-up were members) remain my favourite band of all time. This poorly researched excuse for a review will have me avoiding this idiot's contributions like the proverbial plague. If you are unable to review the disc objectively - and let me just say I had absultely no interest in buying it before I read this hatchet job and I still don't! - then can I suggest that you stick to 'writing' about things you have some knowledge of...?
Old 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob X View Post
OMG What a terrible review!!!! Serious can we get someone who is a fan of the band to review this?

Deep Purple a one hit wonder?! LOLLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!

Wow why review it at all if it's going to be half assed review. If you don't know who Deep Purple are and call them a one hit wonder the GTFO.
Old 12-03-2011, 10:39 AM

I've been an avid follower of HDD for the past 3 yrs. & never felt compelled to post a reply until I read this ludicrous review.

And why is it that almost all rock bands at one time or another feel it necessary to be accompanied by an orchestra? From extremely melodic bands like Yes, I can see it fitting. But why Deep Purple? Why Metallica? The riff-driven, heavily distorted music doesn't lend itself well to orchestral accompaniment.

Deep Purple was the first rock band ever to record with an orchestra. They recorded (live) a full length album in 1969, with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra, titled "Concerto for Group & Orchestra". Hows "that" for innovation? If any band is qualified to play with an orchestra it would be DP.
Since when is a band's talent measured by how many "hits" they've had? Jimi Hendrix never had any top 10 hits either...(not in America)These guys paved the road for what was to become Heavy Metal (along with Sabbath & Zepplin)
As far as Ian Gillan's attire is concerned, would you rather have seen him wearing some spandex & spikes? Who cares? He's paid his dues & can wear whatever he wants.