'Conan the Barbarian - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-21-2011, 09:08 PM

Default 'Conan the Barbarian - 3D' - High-Def Digest Review

Our review of 'Conan the Barbarian - 3D' has been posted. Check it out!

Full review here:
http://bluray.highdefdigest.com/6000/conan3d.html
Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 PM

Not surprised given that most people have the Arnold ones shoved too far up their arse to actually realize how much more accurate Hyboriea was in this movie compared to the post-apocalyptic-like world of the Arnold ones. Sure, this movie is far from perfect, but Jason looks far close to Conan from the source material than Arnold ever did. Plus, the scenes as a child felt like they were taken right out of the Dark Horse comics from a few years back.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:37 AM

This movie is definitely brainless, but still a fun watch. If you can get into the hyper-masculine romanticized version of the past and enjoy lots of blood and nudity, you'll probably like it too.

However, I do wish they'd stayed truer to the source material and simply adapted one of the many deep and fine Conan stories. It would have been much better received then.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:40 AM

On the other hand, accuracy and entertainment value are not the same thing. I really enjoyed the early scenes, probably due to Ron Perlman for the most part, but everything after he grew up felt a little too much like just going through the motions.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:51 AM

Oh I agree, but this was a step in the right direction to getting an accurate Conan on screen. Hopefully he is given another shot and adapts one of Howard's lengthier stories into a movie. Or heck, adapt three short ones but make the story interwining so they all connect and have Thoth-Amon appear in it!!! He has not been in any Conan movie yet.
Old 11-22-2011, 07:10 PM

Default Thoth-Amon was in a Conan movie...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
Oh I agree, but this was a step in the right direction to getting an accurate Conan on screen. Hopefully he is given another shot and adapts one of Howard's lengthier stories into a movie. Or heck, adapt three short ones but make the story interwining so they all connect and have Thoth-Amon appear in it!!! He has not been in any Conan movie yet.

Actually, Thoth-Amon was protrayed in Conan the Destroyer. He was the Wizard who kidnapped the "chosen girl" and brought her to his castle in the middle of a lake. Just FYI...
Old 11-23-2011, 12:24 AM

Just picked this up today, and the more I watch, the more I like it. I think they picked the right guy to play Conan. While the movie certainly isn't perfect, it has some really bad CGI in it, I think they got a lot right. The action sequences are brutal and fantastic. Stephen Lang makes for an awesome villain, even if the character of Zym is cliche at best. I personal wouldn't put this film on the same level as the Schwarzenegger picture, but I think I like Momoa's portrayal of the character a little bit more, even if the rest of the film isn't as strong. But it definitely blows The Destroyer out of the water and then some.
Old 11-23-2011, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronds9 View Post
Actually, Thoth-Amon was protrayed in Conan the Destroyer. He was the Wizard who kidnapped the "chosen girl" and brought her to his castle in the middle of a lake. Just FYI...
There is no way that was Thoth-Amon. The wizard dude was white and he did not even wear anything resembling Egyptian garments. That was more like Yara from Tower of the Elephant.
Old 11-23-2011, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
There is no way that was Thoth-Amon. The wizard dude was white and he did not even wear anything resembling Egyptian garments. That was more like Yara from Tower of the Elephant.
That was his name though. Destroyer is a strange film.
Old 11-23-2011, 01:43 PM

Just watched Conan, and boy did is suck ass. The level of unbelievably stupid things just kept me from enjoying the movie.